Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

ALMS needs to drop the NFL Films/documentary style for the TV presentations

That is the same guy who does NFL Films, isn't it? Well, if they want to do a season recap using his distinctive voice, I think that would be great. But Mid Ohio is the last ALMS race I'm going to watch with this format. I feel like I'm watching something that happened six months ago. I watch races to get the "live action feeling" (even if it's taped) of being in the here & now.

I have been a big fan of Dr. Don and the ALMS since Day 1. But the economy aside, this season has been a bad one. And now the series that has always proclaimed "For the Fans" seems to be falling short of that mark. Bringing in the "C" classes has helped to bolster the field. But we need more (truly) professional teams, not field fillers. And please, let's just have some professional commentators and show the race. Back to basics.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ughh it was unwatchable.Great for the unknowing new fan but enthusiasts wont be impressed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    ALMS has a streaming video available: http://ht.ly/2oLIa Watch that if you can. My DSL is too slow to make good use of it.

Ah, nothing like good ol' USA broadband. Makes you wish we were a modern country like say, South Korea.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just remember, this was the same crew that made "Truth in 24" although Jason Statham narrated the event and that was an epic documentary.

for them to do this for the regular season is a utter joke. but even a bigger joke is CBS showing the race one week AFTER THE RACE RAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In regards to the NFL Films format...

[font='Verdana','sans-serif']Amen. I declined to watch the first race that CBS ‘covered’, but since the season is winding down, I subjected myself to the entire broadcast from Mid-Ohio. The entire time I just kept thinking about NFL Films. Of course I am a racing fan, not a football fanatic, but I think if CBS Sports execs (and Porsche, for that matter, since they sponsored the broadcast they have some complicity in the overproduction) would question ANY fan of the NFL, asking if they would rather watch a game broadcast or the NFL Films version, the results would be unanimous. This format is ridiculous. Why would they even consider doing this…have they performed some focus group research and found that endurance racing fans as a group suffer from ADHD? [/font]

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerFF
    ALMS has a streaming video available: http://ht.ly/2oLIa Watch that if you can. My DSL is too slow to make good use of it.

Ah, nothing like good ol' USA broadband. Makes you wish we were a modern country like say, South Korea.
    Don't complain if you can only afford DSL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racefanfromnj
    great for the unknowing new fan but enthusiasts wont be impressed
    To me that is exactly what makes it a good idea - use this format to lure in new fans (1st time out, people ain't going to sit down for a 3-6 hour race).

For the enthusiast, the whole race streamed live without a single ad break.

Although I do agree they should use the format for a 2nd non Sebring/PLM proper endurance & not a 2:45 race

I'm sorry that ALMS is willing to sacrifice existing fans in order to pick up a handful of new fans. I honestly don't know who would sit and watch these documentary presentations, unless they were working on a paper for school. But maybe some newbies do like this format... for a short while. I've been a loyal ALMS fan since Day 1. I faithfully went to the early races, even those roval events, where it was just me and about 5,000 of my new best friends in attendance. Even when the racing in Grand Am was better, I hung in there with ALMS, even when it was the "All Audi, All the Time" show in P1 and Corvette was racing against itself in GT1. But this is where I draw the line. If existing fans are expected to sit in front of a computer monitor to see a REAL racing presentation, while they try to pick up channel surfers with Mr. NFL Films, I'll watch the European Le Mans Series or the FIA GT1 World Championship on my computer before I'll ever watch one of these wastes of time again. Racing is the only sport that I still follow and the only sport that I still care about. But I won't be disrespected or taken for granted. When Champ Car did that, I turned my back on that sad series. And I can do the same with the ALMS if it can't make a TV presentation that's worth a loyal fan's time.

Dear Dr. Panoz, don't let whoever came up with this odd scheme ruin your fine series. Get it back to "For the Fans" ASAP... PLEASE!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

ALMS, just do what you did with the Road America race today. THAT was the race of the weekend by far! Fantastic coverage of a fantastic race! Bravo ALMS!!!
    Bravo Jonny Cocker!!!

And that Lola B09/60 is one gorgeous car!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    ALMS, just do what you did with the Road America race today. THAT was the race of the weekend by far! Fantastic coverage of a fantastic race! Bravo ALMS!!!
    Bravo Jonny Cocker!!!

And that Lola B09/60 is one gorgeous car!!!
    ill second that sir