Infielder Fontenot obtained from Cubs
Mike Fontenot didn't have to travel far to become a Giant.
The Chicago Cubs' utility infielder was hitting in an indoor cage at AT&T Park on Wednesday afternoon when he was summoned to the manager's office and was told to switch uniforms. The Giants acquired Fontenot for minor league outfielder Evan Crawford.
"It's been a strange day so far," said Fontenot, 30, who hit a two-run double off Guillermo Mota a night earlier. "I know the Giants are in the thick of it. That really gets you pumped up. "... When they need me to come in and get a hit, I'm available to do that."
The Giants had a need for infield depth because shortstop Edgar Renteria reinjured his left biceps Tuesday. He was placed on the disabled list after an MRI exam showed a strain. Renteria is expected to be ready Aug. 26, although the Giants might wait until Sept. 1 when rosters expand.
Manager Bruce Bochy said it's possible Fontenot, a left-handed hitter, will platoon with struggling second baseman Freddy Sanchez. Fontenot also can play third base and fill in at shortstop.
Unlike Sanchez, who seems to be wilting under the strain of his first pennant race, Fontenot has big-game experience.
"Great teammate," said disabled Giants outfielder Mark DeRosa, a former Cub. "In my two years playing with him, he got a lot of big hits. He's a tough out, he's versatile, and he's got a little
pop. I think he's a great addition.
"He came up in a winning atmosphere, and he's been in pennant races before. He's not fazed. He's started playoff games. He can only help."
Fontenot received a steady stream of visitors as he packed his stuff in the visiting clubhouse. Cubs closer Carlos Marmol walked up to him and said two words: "All sliders."
Fontenot was hitting .284 entering Wednesday with one home run in 169 at-bats. He lost his starting job when the Cubs promoted rookie shortstop Starlin Castro. Fontenot hit nine home runs in 2008 and in '09. He had a .395 on-base percentage in '08.
Fontenot also made an impressive relay throw in the 10th inning Monday to cut down Travis Ishikawa.
Pablo Sandoval celebrated his 24th birthday Wednesday. Bochy said he had planned to rest Sandoval, but his three hits Tuesday along with Renteria's injury prompted a change.