Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Fantastic news!
    Seems like the WRC is on the up again.

I feel the promotors need to get super pro-active now to keep the momentum going. Mini and Toyota is a great start and I think they can build on it.

The old saying goes "To make money, you need to spend money first".
    If I was a promotor I would invite the top dogs of the car companies to WRC events. Put them up in hotels, fly them by helicopter to the stages, get them really involved with the whole WRC atmosphere. Give them a real taste of the scene and a weekend to remember.
    IMO this is money better spent than sitting around a boardroom table looking at pieces of paper.
    Let the CEOs see first hand the cars going past and the crowds getting excited. The fans queuing up to get the drivers' autographs. Show them how close the spectators can get to the action, and the service parks, compared to other motorsport.

Initially I would target those companies who have a history of rallying already, but have been away for a few years... SEAT, Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Skoda. The sales pitch wouldn't be so difficult with these companies, as they already have a good knowledge of the WRC.
    I would also try to do the big push with car companies using rallying as part of their marketing programme but not involved in the sport's top level. PROTON is a good example of this at the moment. Grab them now while they are interested before they find something else to spend their marketing money on... like a billboard at a football game. You could also add Fiat (Abarth) and Renault to that list with their involvement with S2000 and S1600 programmes respectively. These are the companies that are best placed to take the next step up to play with the big boys.

Promote, promote, promote!!!

Look forward to Rally NZ 2012 with Citroen, Ford, Mini, Toyota, Saab, Proton and more screaming past me on the Whanga Coast Stage!

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Proton?

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    If Toyota will come back, they should use the FT-86 as basis, as with the Celica they started with success on their last rally campaign: http://www.ft86club.com/?p=276 it should come late 2011.

Saab should do a slow start and make a 9-2 R3T or something. But it would be perfect for the brand to come back to rally with this one !

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    While I really hope all these stories are true, call me cynical, isn’t it funny they’re all happening at the same time? I hope they’re not all put out by NorthOne.
    However;

Ford,
    Citroen,
    Mini,
    Toyota,
    VW,
    Saab,

With maybe 2-4 factory seats per team, thing could be looking up.
    Simply, the changes imposed by North One TV to ISC (now North One Sport) are positive. The results are Mini and strong interest from many Manufacturers and organizers!

I was right some months ago, during spring...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J.

Initially I would target those companies who have a history of rallying already, but have been away for a few years... SEAT, Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Skoda. The sales pitch wouldn't be so difficult with these companies, as they already have a good knowledge of the WRC.
    Good knowledge of how the world rally car rule just got out of hand more like and how the new S2000/S1.6T is already becoming like that.

Mitsubishi and Subaru don't need buttering up with helicoptor rides, as they know what rallying is about more than North One wrc promotions.

Manufacturers want cars that represent their road cars. Not S2000/S1.6T where bare bodyshells are being hacked into a special build competition cars. They can go to F1 and LeMans to do that.
    Nav

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    That applies only if You consider just Mitsubisi and Subaru as manufacturers. Others prefer special cars as they have nothing useful for rallying in their stock production.

It's way easier, quicker and less expensive for any manufacturer to build S2000 based car than to develop entirely new sports car for stock production without know-how, technologies and experience. Development of stock car is something completely different, takes years and needs hundreds of people and billions especially to establish production lines, after-sale services in every country etc. Moreover it's very doubtful that each manufacturer involved in WRC could sell 2500 expensive 4x4 sports cars per year. It's too specialized market which isn't unlimited. And even if they manage to do so it will most probably still be loss-making business. Leaders of car manufacturers know that and that's why I can't see any company starting a project like that. Moreover when it takes let's say five years from start of such production-based program to actual entrance into WRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mirek Fric [Cze
    ]That applies only if You consider just Mitsubisi and Subaru as manufacturers. Others prefer special cars as they have nothing useful for rallying in their stock production.

It's way easier, quicker and less expensive for any manufacturer to build S2000 based car than to develop entirely new sports car for stock production without know-how, technologies and experience. Development of stock car is something completely different, takes years and needs hundreds of people and billions especially to establish production lines, after-sale services in every country etc. Moreover it's very doubtful that each manufacturer involved in WRC could sell 2500 expensive 4x4 sports cars per year. It's too specialized market which isn't unlimited. And even if they manage to do so it will most probably still be loss-making business. Leaders of car manufacturers know that and that's why I can't see any company starting a project like that. Moreover when it takes let's say five years from start of such production-based program to actual entrance into WRC.

Totally agree.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Has anyone actualy read the news story who is mentioned in the first post yet?
    Hvis noe feil på bilen skall kunde ha dette reparert

Liked 312 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mirek Fric [Cze
    ]That applies only if You consider just Mitsubisi and Subaru as manufacturers. Others prefer special cars as they have nothing useful for rallying in their stock production.

This is so true. As far as I know Mitsubishi manufacturers special homologation 2500 units that’s are lighter than the “actual” model from where all additional add-ons like air condition etc. are stripped. There are not many facture’s that can do this.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    That's obvious and it's why R4 can't be viewed as a top WRC formula!

Maybe now our friend navtheace will understand.

Also it's pretty obvious that ISC moves aren't decisive to bring manufactureurs in (even if they helps).

The main factor to the renewed interest around WRC it's that finally, over almost 4 years, FIA has decided the techcnical rules for the next generation of WRC cars, because without them no make simply couldn't invest!

At that point we must congratulate Mr. Todt and his definitive resolution about the new regs (and hope that FIA can contain development costs of WRC1.6T cars, or in 3 or 4 years will be again debating the necessity of new cars!).

As for the Toyota news, wich must still be confirmed, that's really great to the sport, and could also be the definitive argument to VW's entry decision.
    Rally addict since 1982