Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The thing that some of the posters here are missing is that in many places, including where I live, USAC is just as obscure as Indy Lights or Star Mazda or whatever.

Getting USAC drivers into Indycar is a good goal of course.

A really good thing would be Indycar-sponsored spring training or tryouts in Florida in Jan or Feb that would be open to all aspiring racers... give them seat time for free if they had good enough credentials from any ladder series. (or a fee if they want to buy a chance to show off)

A few days at Sebring, & a few days at Homestead. Get a bunch of Lights out there, all set up right, let them run laps. The fast ones would get to run laps in Indycars. Get the team & sponsor reps down there. Get some Indycar drivers down to set the target lap times. Might be a pretty good show - advertise in all the racing & car magazines, try to entice drivers from all different series. Even get some dirt, rally, & stock car drivers just to check it out.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Partially right. Mirl Swan was the 2009 SCCA National Champion from the SCCA run-offs. Exactly the type of person Tony seems to think has a huge fan base. Clearly that isn't the case when even someone who has heard of him doesn't know he was the National Champ.

So it is a fair comparison. Mirl is at the top of the "lower formula" and so is Levi. I would say, if we used Tony's "road to Indy", that Mirl would be right there ready to go, and Levi would be right there ready to go to NASCAR. So they are, in that world, the same.
    I come from Road racing yet I knew who the USAC up and comer was, and not the SCCA up and comer.

So much for Tony's theory.

God....I read Scott's posts and I agree with him again...this has to stop happening...lol...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I come from Road racing yet I knew who the USAC up and comer was, and not the SCCA up and comer.

So much for Tony's theory.

God....I read Scott's posts and I agree with him again...this has to stop happening...lol...
    Thanks for helping me prove a point Mark. I figured that'd get most people
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Thanks for helping me prove a point Mark. I figured that'd get most people
    Chuck, I am exactly the race fan that Tony thinks his arguments cater to, yet I identified the USAC guy....so I am glad you made the point.

I like all race fans, who follow everything to try and learn about them all. I don't have one form of racing I refuse to watch in my list of choices. I love drag racing, I watch motocross and Moto GP (not as much I admit ), I have enjoyed flat track AMA stuff, I can watch Rallycross, BTCC, WTCC, DTM, Aussie V8's, NASCAR Cup, NW, and Trucks and all the OW formula.

If more people quit being so partisan, and realized that with the exception of F1 and NASCAR, most racing organizations need their patronage and support, we as race fans would have more viewing choices..
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".