View Poll Results: Should Michael quit ?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 48.23%
  • No

73 51.77%
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    That seat should have been Nick's. He's being wasted.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    should he quit

does a frog have an ass
    does rocket j squirrel own a space ship
    does traction control make a good driver look great
    is the toad an idiot
    does bernie look like a mobile mop
    does senna need to learn how to send email
    is piquet gay
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    why

being 9th in the points right now is just about where I expected him to be.
    He'll be fine. it is the media and his fans from his first go around that can't deal with it. Yeah he's had a few bad races, but he's also had some tough situations, bad luck and poor race management by the team (that cost him a top 5 in Valencia)
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    No he shouldn't quit! He's come back to have some fun. He has nothing to prove to anyone, won evertything in F1 worth winning over and over again and pulls in big marketing money for Mercedes GP. Maybe next season he will be up to speed.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Maybe next season he will be up to speed.
    The goalposts seem to move as the season goes on. At first it was 'let's see after the first three races' 'Maybe' he'll be up to speed in 2011 doesn't really cut it in the cut throat paddock where performance is everthing.

Here's the thing. We're talking about Michael Schumacher. 7-time WDC. 91 GP wins etc etc. Ok, he's been away from the sport for a while but he was always one of the fittest, most adaptable drivers on the grid. His fitness levels, we are told, are as good as they've ever been but he seems unable (so far) to adapt to the 2010 cars, and in particular the tyres.

I don't think anyone expected MS to be up to speed immediately, but halfway through the season he is performing no better or worse than he did in Bahrain. That's what is surprising.

Of course the major factor in F1 is the car, and Mercedes have not produced a great one so that has to be factored into MS's results, but it does not account for comparisons with his team-mate who has almost 3x's the number of points. Nico Rosberg is good, but I don't see him being compared with the very best on the current grid.

So, we have a driver unable to adapt to the 2010 car/tyres, being comfortably outscored by his team-mate, and showing no particular signs of improvement. Mercedes, who may well be getting marketing benefits from MS's presence, may also find themselves in an uncomfortable position come the end of the season. Does marketing outweigh performance when it comes to Michael Schumacher?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    No he shouldn't quit! He's come back to have some fun. He has nothing to prove to anyone, won evertything in F1 worth winning over and over again and pulls in big marketing money for Mercedes GP. Maybe next season he will be up to speed.
    Damn straight!!

As well as DOUBLING German f1 viewership in 2010. In Germany f1 IS Schumi.

And anyway - I think its just so nice to have him around again

But the best reason is that he can still do it but it takes longer these days - let us not forget the performance of Fisichella in 2009 for example.
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    One bad season wont tarnish his legacy, but another poor one might. I think he should call it quits at the end of 2010 so people don't remember him for his failed comeback, but rather his glory days.
    I don't think that will happen. Graham Hill went on long after his peak but I don't think anyone is claiming his legacy was tarnished.

I guess what this comes down to is this; Can he enjoy himself in the role of Mentor to Nico? If he can, I don't see any reason for him not to continue for the 3 years. If only the title will do I can see him backing out at the end of 2011.

With his home race coming up I'm guessing we'll get an answer. I remember Damon's lastr British GP where he virtually locked himself away for the weekend to try and rediscover the magic, and whilst he got closer to HHF than he had managed elsewhere it took every ounce of effort to get within 2 tenths and to my mind convinced him his time was over. Will we see something similar with shu?
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    As well as DOUBLING German f1 viewership in 2010...
    His comeback race in Bahrain may have doubled RTL's viewing figures when compared with the previous years season-opener (link) but has that level of interest been maintained in subsequent races?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    OK , think about this from Michael's eyes .

You've won it all .
    You tried motorcycles , and they hurt .

You have an offer to come back .

You already have gazzillions in the bank , so the reason you return is to get back into the excitement .

You've decided the possibilty of being support driver isn't so bad , especially considering your past public reputation for being supported throughout your career . In that sense , it could help change that perception .

To help develop a new Marque in the paddock is attractive also .

Simply put , Michael , though certainly wanting to show well , will always make history , and having this fun in the paddock will take none of his records away .

I still expect him to deliver some great racing , and he will support his team-mate like a trooper when the time comes .

The only other point that I wish to make is that , to say that the shoe should quit devalues greatly the efforts of his young team-mate , who is doing very well .
    Nico seems well focussed . Maybe what he needed was to have Michael beside him .
    However , if that focus remains that Michael is falling , instead of Nico is rising , he may not make out as well in the eyes of the fan .

He needs to beat a 7-time WDC , not a fallen hero .

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Personally he should have stayed retired but if Schumi still thinks of 'waiting' ('everything else is just waiting' as Steve McQueen once put it) and is unconcerned with reputations and whatnot then his decision should be respected.