Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the only question is would they run as VW in Indy and run the Audis in ALMS? I think they will run both as Audi so they can advertise as "winners of Le Mans and the 500" or something to that nature.

Multiple engines/chassis is great news!
    "Everything comes to those who wait... except a cat." Mario Andretti

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Agreed...it was more people throwing both names out there when they're the same company. On the face of it though this sounds like positive news
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    Wait, isn't that what the "vision" was all about??
    It was what we were told it was.....but I think the problem is too many people still think those people at the Sprint Car races can relate to Indy. The reality is a Sprint Car fan is more likely to watch NASCAR because rear engined cars with wings like an Indy car have little relevence to the guys sideways on dirt. The disconnect started in the 70's....

When the likes of Jan Opperman didn't go to Indy as the next step of the ladder, the thread was pulled tight, and when guys like Dave Blaney and Steve Kinser blazed a trail to NASCAR, the thread was snapped with Ryan Newman and Kasey Kahne and the like.

I don't know how Bernard can get these fans back easily. Tony George played lip service to it, but I don't really know what was done....

AS for the chassis and manfacturers (the thread's theme right?? lol), the more the better the sooner.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This will be very good for the sport, I'm exited to hear the announcement tommorow.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I don't know how Bernard can get these fans back easily.

Having 2 or 3 USAC grads in the series and at Indy would be a start.

Not looking down on them (the drivers and fans) as some kind of 2nd class citizens, would be a big start.

Not just "talking" about wanting them back in the sport, but actually putting your $$$ where your mouth is, would be a nice change.

Realizing that the oval track portion of AOW is a heck of a lot bigger then the road racing portion and understanding there is a loyal fanbase out there, would be nice.

Trying to connect (like Bernard appears like he wants to) at local tracks with "REAL" AOW fans (like NASCAR's people did in the late 80's and 90's) would be a huge step in the right direction.

I don't think anyone thinks the Indy 500 should be made up of 25 USAC oval track grads. But it can't be made up of none either (which could happen soon once Hamilton and Fisher retire). Just a few, in stable, half-way decent rides, would probably be enough to reconnect many fans who left the sport and have no interest any more in Indy Cars.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Having 2 or 3 USAC grads in the series and at Indy would be a start.

Not looking down on them (the drivers and fans) as some kind of 2nd class citizens, would be a big start.

Not just "talking" about wanting them back in the sport, but actually putting your $$$ where your mouth is, would be a nice change.

Realizing that the oval track portion of AOW is a heck of a lot bigger then the road racing portion and understanding there is a loyal fanbase out there, would be nice.

Trying to connect (like Bernard appears like he wants to) at local tracks with "REAL" AOW fans (like NASCAR's people did in the late 80's and 90's) would be a huge step in the right direction.

I don't think anyone thinks the Indy 500 should be made up of 25 USAC oval track grads. But it can't be made up of none either (which could happen soon once Hamilton and Fisher retire). Just a few, in stable, half-way decent rides, would probably be enough to reconnect many fans who left the sport and have no interest any more in Indy Cars.
    You are still presupposing that there is some secret cabal of idiots out there keeping USAC grads out of Indy cars for purely stupid motives.

Hamilton and Fisher's track record indicates accuately what you ignore. They don't have the skill set from driving a midget or sprint car to adapt to a rear engined winged car. THAT is why all these posers from Europe and road racers race Indy cars. It is easy to demonize the team owners as idiots, but the fact is guys like Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske aren't looking in USAC to find Indycar drivers, and they want to just win. If the USAC guys had the skill set, you would see Penske and Ganassi looking for these guys.....

Roger did look in USAC for drivers....and he found one. His name was Ryan Newman and it was obvious that his skill set and instincts honed in dirt cars would work better in NASCAR.

You can rail against the evil owners all you like, the fact is driving a sprint car is better training to drive NASCAR and not a modern Indy car. Unless Indy went back to being a track where you raced a modern version of the roadster, this will not change.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    I agree. Unless what Scott says above is true, which is that the current Dallaras will be an option for teams to use in 2013 along with whatever the other chassis' are out there. So in that case, the engine(s) need to be fitted to the Dallara anyway, and that will be one retrofit out of the way before 2013. My guess is that they will try to standardize the engine fit across all chassis' as well so it is not as much of an issue.
    that is easy to do. with the alluminum bulkhead that fits to the back of the chassis it is merely as easy as drilling the holes to accomodate the different engines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    You are still presupposing that there is some secret cabal of idiots out there keeping USAC grads out of Indy cars for purely stupid motives.

Hamilton and Fisher's track record indicates accuately what you ignore. They don't have the skill set from driving a midget or sprint car to adapt to a rear engined winged car. THAT is why all these posers from Europe and road racers race Indy cars. It is easy to demonize the team owners as idiots, but the fact is guys like Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske aren't looking in USAC to find Indycar drivers, and they want to just win. If the USAC guys had the skill set, you would see Penske and Ganassi looking for these guys.....

Roger did look in USAC for drivers....and he found one. His name was Ryan Newman and it was obvious that his skill set and instincts honed in dirt cars would work better in NASCAR.

You can rail against the evil owners all you like, the fact is driving a sprint car is better training to drive NASCAR and not a modern Indy car. Unless Indy went back to being a track where you raced a modern version of the roadster, this will not change.
    Said very well, He, Bernard, should be looking at usac, but He should also be looking at scca and karting. I've always thought that.
    There is no substitute...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    I'd be surprised if VW and Audi were in given they're the same parent company and Audi is very much the LMS brand for VAG, while SEAT is the touring car brand. "Big overseas" is more likely to be Toyota now it has an engine factory in Germany sitting pretty empty.
    VW/Audi is very serious about an IRL program.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.

I suppose you have stats to back that up?

Not that bigger numbers always means better. There is a reason why certain companies shy away from NASCAR with it's huge fan base and instead invest in series like the ALMS.