Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    I normally only read Norris' column on line. This one was brought up in the Cdn. Motorsport Historical Group so I looked at it.
    McNulty in the Sun may know his stock cars but he makes constant mistakes when writing about other forms of racing.
    he isn't always right on the Taxicabs either, but he is a good guy.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I really don't think it's fair or right to suggest that people are hammering Danica because she is a female. If someone is doing that, then let's point out their post and I can jump on them too. But I just haven't seen that. I think that the truth is, if Danica was Dan, we wouldn't be talking about him period. Why would we be talking about some schmoe who's won only ONE pro auto race in his life? Why would ABC be following this guy for lap after lap (when I turned my set on). Let's compare her to her equally annoying teammate, Marco. Each has won but a single IRL race... under rather "interesting" circumstances - though Marco has several wins in other formulas. But still, we don't see Marco being followed lap after lap after lap (unless he's right up front)... not that I want to see him anymore than I do. When I turned on the set, Danica was back in 10th or 11th. All people are saying is, why is so much time devoted to a driver who continues to run mid to back of the pack?

This is the nub of the argument right? Danica is over promoted, and over hyped. Most of what people moan about when it comes to the Princess is the constant updates. Now some might point out, she is the most popular or known driver in the IRL, and hence deserves this coverage. I think she is the most known driver in the IRL now because they keep showing her and because people think she is cute. They don't work that hard to give me Helio updates....and I suspect my wife likes Helio a lot better than Danica due to his Dancing with the Stars appearences!

Danica is a journeywoman racer. She will never win a championship, but she likely will not ever win another race. You total up her career, and the only victory she has is a fuel mileage deal in Japan. That just isn't enough to feed the media machine enough fuel to justify the hype.

She did a good job Sunday, she kept it clean and kept it out of everyone else's mess and still kept up. That doesn't a racing driver make by itself however and that is going to be my main beef.

Racing is about passing people and showing speed. Not riding around fast....

As for the IRL's guys having enough talent to get to f1, sadly no. A few of them might have had a shot in the right circumstance in their younger days, but I think f1's mentality is why go to the US when they can dig up a guy out of GP2?

I think Helio in his younger days was F1 possible, as is Power but that is likely it...and Danica? Well she can buy a ride or a ticket, but judging how bad NASCAR is kicking her ass, f1 would be the LAST place she would go, because the Europeans wouldn't kiss her @ss AT ALL....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    bottomline is she is a driver... not a racer

and the fact the league for 1/2 a decade pinned there hopes and dreams on her was a mistake all (most anyhow) of the diehards saw right thru
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    It was a crashfest today. Danica had this course mastered this weekend. Im proud of her. Look out Edmonton, here she comes!

RESPONSE: Danica's Toronto: Good "driving", Bad "racing". Kept her nose clean, stayed out of trouble, didn't pass one car for position on track, finish place based on attrition ahead of her.

"Mastered course? LMAO (are you a comedy writer?)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well..she isn't no Milka Duno.....

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    I thought I would watch the IRL race today at Toronto - BIG MISTAKE.....
    A year too late. Last year was a great race to watch.

Last Sunday was one of those Full Moon days where drivers were cursed to be donkeys for a day.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I also watched it...not a great advert for the sport. Guys (and girls) driving like Formula Ford amateurs.

I did chuckle when Sato hit the wall though.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPVguy
    Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    It was a crashfest today. Danica had this course mastered this weekend. Im proud of her. Look out Edmonton, here she comes!

RESPONSE: Danica's Toronto: Good "driving", Bad "racing". Kept her nose clean, stayed out of trouble, didn't pass one car for position on track, finish place based on attrition ahead of her.

"Mastered course? LMAO (are you a comedy writer?)
    What you are writing is not true. She did pass Marco Andretti for position.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Krogshöj
    What you are writing is not true. She did pass Marco Andretti for position.
    2x actually, Marco was holding up a train on at least 2 occasions and was 2 to 4 seconds behind her once she got by. Not sure what Marco's problem was last weekend but he didn't look good....but stayed clean.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Please don't insult Formula Ford amateurs.
    Yeah!
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)