Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Chassis Opinion Pole

In anticipation of the upcoming chassis announcement, I would like to pole this esteemed group. I have worded the questions to prevent debate related to which chassis is best to stay on topic. Please read and make your selection and explain why your choice best benefits the series as a whole.

1. Should the series develop a set of rules and invite all to participate?
    2. Should the series choose more than one chassis manufacturer?
    3. Should the series select a single chassis?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I choose either #1 or #3 - I prefer #1 for the long term - but I understand that the economic realities probably preclude #1 for the time being.... At first thought I had chosen #2 - but upon reflection I realize that is just a train wreck waiting to happen as what happens if/when one chassis is clearly superior to the other.....??? I also wonder if they could choose some hybrid of the two - select one chassis as the main supplier and work out some way to allow other manufacturers but only on a team by team basis for now (i.e. - Dallara or Lola or Swift or Delta get all the "customer" business but a team is free to develop its own car but they cannot sell it for a set period of time)...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    1 or 2.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the problem with #2 is that, in this economy, it is going to be difficult to find a supplier who is willing to invest the money needed to compete with another chassis maker - they simply cannot afford to take the risk.... I think Indycar is in the position of having to offer a chassis manufacturer some sort of deal that provides them security.... as much as I prefer choice #1 - I do not see enough chassis builders answering the bell with sufficient resources to ensure a full field... I think if they offer someone the role of exclusive "customer" chassis and also allow individual teams to go their own route with chassis unique to their own team you might get the best of both worlds.... (this would provide diversity but would also ultimately allow the main chassis producer to actually make money.....)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I understand and agree to what Chris R is saying. I can see the economics in all of this. I would however limit what the teams can do to equalize the field more.

I vote for number 1. Yes, there will be a front runner on ovals and it is possible a different chassis will win on streets/road tracks but this is the best solution for the series as a whole IMO. In year 2 the slower ones will improve or quit.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    #3 is the safer bet. But in principle, I prefer #1. My guess is that they'll go with a single supplier chassis, the safer bet.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    #3 is the safer bet. But in principle, I prefer #1. My guess is that they'll go with a single supplier chassis, the safer bet.
    My thoughts go along with this. By choosing #3 and remaining a spec series, the series will continue to go nowhere. Might as well stick with the ugly, old Dallara if this is the case.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

#4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lola, L-o-l-a, Lola!

A mute poll, or pole. All bids were based on a single spec chassis, and the winner will match a one of the Kink's all time hits.
    Green, Green, Green!