So while Randy Bernard was in Loudon he talked about the possibility of double-header weekends with the Cup series. While the there was no need to do this when track operators were selling tickets to Cup races as fast as they could build stands, but now with every track seeing swaths of empty seats, which will likely continue for several years, double headers make some sense.

There is a good bit of crossover between NASCAR and Indy fans, and holding two events on one weekend reduces the capitol outlay for track owners. Obviously it would help the ICS more than it wold NASCAR, but if track owners want it I don't seen NASCAR dismissing it. The only time I heard of a serious offer being made was for a Wednesday night race at Phoenix and it was never considered by the ICS. A bad economy makes for stranger partnerships though.

The tracks I see as most likely to embrace the idea:

Las Vegas: The Trucks run a stand alone event at Vegas on Sept. 25, I'm hearing this may be the championship weekend for the ICS next year with the trucks and the FIL running in support. I think this is the only double header we're likely to see next year.

Road America: The crowd for the Nationwide race was outstanding and I'd look for their to be a multiple year contract for the support series. I could see the ICS getting its own date later in the summer/fall or combining with the Nationwide Series.

Michigan: Attendance has been declining for years, Michigan hosts three series at the June race and could run a 400 mile ICS race on the Saturday before a Cup race without a whole lot of effort.

Charlotte: Apparently Bruton is open to the idea of the ICS racing there, both the Bush and Cup races are evening events, so the ICS could run in the day before either race.

Randy talked about it here:
http://www.mikemulhern.net/index.php...nard-loves-ide