Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    So sayeth the only arbiter of motorsports facts, all the rest of us should just clam up. BTW where do we line up to kiss the ring?

What YOU see as a gimmick, many of US see as an attempt to return to a long standing tradition of drivers from multiple disciplines competing in the Indy 500. But then what do we know? We're just some low life scum, not worthy of the attention of a "real reporter".

Gary
    I guess I struck a nerve. Don't like my opinion? Too bad.

How about you explain to me how having some NASCAR drivers in the Indy 500 will help the series as a whole?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    honestly, if one of them gets a taste of the milk, you might just be surprised at the outcome (if I am a race car driver who put plenty of money in the bank driving "taxi-cabs" I'd be all over going to race "real" cars....)
    You're kidding, right? I can hear Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus right now.

"Hey Chad, are the engineers and the guys in the fabrication shop working on the Indy 500 car?"

"No Jimmie, we buy the same chasis from the same off-the-shelf provider as everyone else. Our engineers and fab guys are looking for work now."

"Well Chad, how about the engine shop, what's going on in there to get ready?"

"Take a look here Jimmie, our new "engine shop" is now the old broom closet, it's were we store the crate that the engine comes in."

"Well Chad, what are we doing to make it better?"

Chad: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    the Indy 500 is still bigger individually than anything NASCAR has to offer....
    What was the Daytona 500 TV rating and what was the Indy 500 TV rating?
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    We can argue the pros and cons all day but the fact is that Having NASCAR racers compete in the Indy 500 is just a gimmick.
    So sayeth the only arbiter of motorsports facts, all the rest of us should just clam up. BTW where do we line up to kiss the ring?
    I guess I struck a nerve. Don't like my opinion? Too bad.
    Nope, just sick and tired of YOU telling us that your opinions are facts (your words not mine, see quote above). You claimed it was a fact, and now say it was just your opinion. You can't have it both ways Mr. "Reporter".

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And too chicken to do it at any price. Oh sure, you might go up to him and soft pedal it as if it were a question, "Uh, Mr. Montoya is it true that ...". But to state it as a fact as you did here, no way would you EVER have the cajones to do that.

Gary
    Wow. When asked to put your money where you mouth is you go running for the "spin" dispenser.

No spin, just fact. You would never say it to his face in the exact words you did here and you know it. You'd have your teeth handed to you.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No spin, just fact. You would never say it to his face in the exact words you did here and you know it. You'd have your teeth handed to you.

Gary
    You assume way too much!!! HeHeHe Now if you want to continue with your assumptions I suggest you put your money where your mouth is like you first offered. Until them you can forget me responding to your personal insults.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't see how more eyeballs ..... Even for 1 race ..... Can be a bad thing

I also believe far more cab fans will watch the 500 than ow fans will tune in for the 600

Bring em' on.... And the more competitive they are the better.... Bigger names the better also

* I'm posting frommy phone .... I know neither schedule is set for 2011..... But is there a lead in race (Kansas?) where the cup guys and shakedown an ow car?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok.....Hypothetical: What would happen if Kahne wins the Indy 500?

NASCAR fans will claim that the Indy Car drivers aren't any good because their guy hopped into a car and spanked them.
    Seriously, I could care less what NASCAR fans think about the ICS, but there is more crossover than most people believe. I saw a ton of NASCAR shirts and hats at Barber earlier this year, at Nashville two years ago, and in St. Pete last year. At Barber we were two spots down from a converted school bus painted in Jeff Gordon colors.

As far as I'm concerned anything that sparks debate about the ICS, including the scenario you just mentioned, is a good thing.

How many people who watched because of the NASCAR connection would then tune into the next Indy Car race even though their "boy" isn't racing?

NASCAR drivers at the Indy 500 is good for the Indy 500.
    It isn't good for the Indy Car series.
    It's not bad either. No one is saying that this is a panacea that will solve all the problems, but in all likeliness it would bring prestige and viewers the Indy 500, which will have a knock on effect for all of the full time sponsors. It gives you another line to tell companies, it gives companies who might be on the fence another reason to sign on for a full season deal.

Seriously, its a good thing, not the greatest thing, but good.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It will be awesome! It will help the Indy 500 a lot and will create a bunch of great storylines. It will be tough though, the only drivers I think have a chance are JPM and Kyle Busch.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    You missed the point. NASCAR already beats the message into the masses that their drivers are the best in the world.

If one of their drivers hops in a Indy Car and embarrasses established Indy Car drivers it will just validate their belief.
    If you believe THAT will happen, other than JPM I defy you to tell me how Kasey Kahne and Jimmy Johnson are going to be those guys. C' mon Tony, you are dumping on a plan to bring relevent American drivers back to Indy, something we all know is needed, and now you say this can happen? I think first off, unless Jimmie or Kasey have a ride with either Ganassi or Penske, it isn't likely. Secondly, they have been driving a car that has little in common with an IRL Dallara. You just don't jump from one to the other and succeed right away. Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon would be the only two other names besides JPM I could see making a go of it.

Look at this way. John Andretti is a field filler in NASCAR, and he comes to Indy, and he serves the same role....and he is familiar with both forms of racing.

For Jimmie, Kasey or Say even Jeff Gordon to be a race winner would take an act of Congress and a lot of luck because they haven't been racing this type of car the last decade. Being fast in a sprint or midget prepares you for NASCAR, not handling a 225mph hour lap in a Dallara at Indy. IF it was so easy, Jeff Gordon would be anxious to give it a go....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Seriously, I could care less what NASCAR fans think about the ICS, but there is more crossover than most people believe. I saw a ton of NASCAR shirts and hats at Barber earlier this year, at Nashville two years ago, and in St. Pete last year. At Barber we were two spots down from a converted school bus painted in Jeff Gordon colors.

As far as I'm concerned anything that sparks debate about the ICS, including the scenario you just mentioned, is a good thing.

It's not bad either. No one is saying that this is a panacea that will solve all the problems, but in all likeliness it would bring prestige and viewers the Indy 500, which will have a knock on effect for all of the full time sponsors. It gives you another line to tell companies, it gives companies who might be on the fence another reason to sign on for a full season deal.

Seriously, its a good thing, not the greatest thing, but good.
    Agree 100%. Eyes have to look before they will follow so any extra pairs tuning in have a better chance of gaining viewers that a wish and a prayer. I would love for Smoke and JPM to lose the pounds to get back in one. NASCAR may still be king but it's not exactly booming right now. Indy better take it's shot while the gettings good.
    "Everything comes to those who wait... except a cat." Mario Andretti