Thread: Are mods legal?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are mods legal?

Right, forgive me for sounding naive, but are mods such as btcc mods for race on legal? I'm talking about things such as copyright and things like that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Technically no, but you're highly unlikely to be prosecuted
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    No they are not and unfortunately you can and would get prosecuted if you made one and they found out. Thats why you can get the BWTC instead of BTCC mod, to get around legal issues. I know that the BTCC has closed down mods before as well as A1GP mods by their owners.

Frankly I think instead of nailing people they should create either a game or back the mod (like SuperLeague Formula did) because it shows an interest / demand for the game.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i dont know why simbin dont ask to make an official addon pack for the btcc we would get the civic and cruze.

they did for STCC they even changed the name of the merc c-classes to BSM
    Rickard Rydell 2011 STCC CHAMPION!!! :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D
    No they are not and unfortunately you can and would get prosecuted if you made one and they found out. Thats why you can get the BWTC instead of BTCC mod, to get around legal issues. I know that the BTCC has closed down mods before as well as A1GP mods by their owners.

Frankly I think instead of nailing people they should create either a game or back the mod (like SuperLeague Formula did) because it shows an interest / demand for the game.
    what about the people who just download them, not actually create them?
    Whats a uni?

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Well if the song and dance over the mods in Nascar Racing 2003 were anything to go by then the people who download and use them are just as guilty, and are often asked to delete them from their computers. Don't think I'm acting all high and mighty though, I'm just as guilty as everyone else.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    let me guess, all those cool Richard Burns Rally mods are not legal either?
    Whats a uni?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D

This got me thinking, I don't get why the BTCC stop mods, after all, modders don't create them for money, they create them because they like the series. Surely, thats good for sponsors, as the mods are not just downloaded in the UK, but worldwide.

I'm personally intrigued what the WRC thinks of the Richard Burns Rally mods, like I said above, its good for sponsors, as they are getting exposure, as are the car makers, and the modders are not trying to get any profit.
    Whats a uni?