Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rally Finland 2010

I'm seriously considering getting to Finland for this year's Neste Oil rally. It just hit me that it's not awfully far to drive (about 12-13 hours, I live in the middle of Sweden) and it would be awesome to actually get away and do something during the summer, be it just over the weekend.

So the standard questions apply I guess.

*Where to go? What stages (and spots in the stages) are recommended, and how do I get there?
    I would probably be watching mainly on Saturday since spending most of Friday and Sunday getting there/home.

*Where to sleep? Is there perhaps some kind of camp available? Worst case there's always the option of sleeping in the car I guess.

*Anything else worth keeping in mind?

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Glad you made this thread maxter! Got a few questions of my own. Is there anyone on here who is a NORF 'expert' that I can ask a few specific questions to? Would anyone mind answering a couple that I have by PM? Thanks.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Fire away, there are plenty of people on here that will help you out. I've been booked up for months!!!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    My main issue is that this will be my first foray into a foreign rally without my old man. This creates a problem with transport once you reach Jyvaskyla as I'm not yet old enough to hire car abroad as I've only had a driving license for a year and a half. I was hoping (maybe against hope!) that there may be someone on here who is going to NORF who may be able to transport me and a mate in their car from our hotel to the stages. I haven't booked a hotel due to the transport issue, and have now realised that if I don't get my act together then all hotels within 100 miles will be booked up!!
    If anyone thinks this may be possible then please contact me via PM. We're obviously happy to pay for petrol costs, plus a bit on top for the hassle of hoiking around a couple of 18-19 year olds.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pettersolberg29
    My main issue is that this will be my first foray into a foreign rally without my old man. This creates a problem with transport once you reach Jyvaskyla as I'm not yet old enough to hire car abroad as I've only had a driving license for a year and a half. I was hoping (maybe against hope!) that there may be someone on here who is going to NORF who may be able to transport me and a mate in their car from our hotel to the stages. I haven't booked a hotel due to the transport issue, and have now realised that if I don't get my act together then all hotels within 100 miles will be booked up!!
    If anyone thinks this may be possible then please contact me via PM. We're obviously happy to pay for petrol costs, plus a bit on top for the hassle of hoiking around a couple of 18-19 year olds.
    Yes for sure on the hotels.... have mine sorted long time ago.
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I'm off to Finalnd this year

Hope for heaps of entries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxter
    I'm seriously considering getting to Finland for this year's Neste Oil rally. It just hit me that it's not awfully far to drive (about 12-13 hours, I live in the middle of Sweden) and it would be awesome to actually get away and do something during the summer, be it just over the weekend.

So the standard questions apply I guess.

*Where to go? What stages (and spots in the stages) are recommended, and how do I get there?
    I would probably be watching mainly on Saturday since spending most of Friday and Sunday getting there/home.

*Where to sleep? Is there perhaps some kind of camp available? Worst case there's always the option of sleeping in the car I guess.

*Anything else worth keeping in mind?
    Hello...

There is camping area in Himos. That might be the place what you are looking. Three stages(Surkee, Leustu and Himos) that will be driven twice are quite near and from that area is only few houndred meters to end of ss 16/19 Himos...

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    I´ll say every stage in Finland is worth seeing. No matter where you go there´s always something good to see.

A good place is in the middle of Leustu-stage at Saakoski just along the road E63 (stage nr 15 and 18). You can stay at the first junction or go about 800m after second junction and onwards.

Also Myhinpää stage (8 and 10) going in middle of stage is good place if you want to party along the night before. Hundreds of tents and caravans and housemobiles. Then walk about 500-1000 m in direction to finnish and you´ll find many good bends.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    I´ll say every stage in Finland is worth seeing. No matter where you go there´s always something good to see.

A good place is in the middle of Leustu-stage at Saakoski just along the road E63 (stage nr 15 and 18). You can stay at the first junction or go about 800m after second junction and onwards.

Also Myhinpää stage (8 and 10) going in middle of stage is good place if you want to party along the night before. Hundreds of tents and caravans and housemobiles. Then walk about 500-1000 m in direction to finnish and you´ll find many good bends.
    It's just Saakoski is always very jammed, but of course crowd makes the atmosphere. Last year we were at Leustu in the spectator point just earlier to Saakoski, you leave the main road some 1 km towards Jyväskylä. It was first stage in the morning so we were early, but the place actually quite decent for the purpose with a high speed jump. Also easy to park.

And let's not start with Myhinpää... Of course it's a classic, but you got to be early. Last year we walked more than 4 km from where we had to leave the car just to get to the stage. There were loads of people. It'll be interesting to see this year when Myhinpää is ran on Friday afternoon. Going past Jyväskylä from the west-side morning stages to east-side afternoon stages could be very frustrating.

But like Rallyper said all of the stages have good points, some have more legendary than the others, but you get to see a lot during the weekend.

I'm not a professional in giving tips, but I've been to 1000 Lakes most of my life and I come from the region, so if you have any practical question to ask, PM me and I get back to you.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Yeah, generally you have to be early at every stage. We use to put up a tent at some good crossing point near the first stage of the day, and sleep over night at the stage. Usually there´s a lot of others who´s doing the same so you can even have some partying along friends from Norway, Finland, Estonia.... Use to be very nice.

At Saakoski for example there was a common camping last year. Fun!
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...