Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts

Money, money, money!

After walking around the service park at Rally NZ and looking at the major expense it takes to compete at this level, my burning question is where does all the money come from?
    I’m not talking about the works teams, or the WRC privateers. I can see the Argentinean Ice Cream and Norweign electronic shop sponsorship here.

I’m talking about the drivers doing the PWRC, SWRC & JWRC (not that we have ever had the JWRC here in NZ).
    Drivers like Toshi Arai, he’s been doing the PWRC for almost a decade, but carries very little sponsorship on his car. Where’s the finance coming from?
    Then there is Nasser Al-Attiyah, he is doing something like 22 rallies this year.

With only limited TV coverage of the minor championships, I can’t imagine any sponsor coughing up with the millions it takes to do this.

Speaking to a team manager of one of the top NZ championship cars a few years ago, he told me it takes about NZ$120,000 (60,000 Euro) to do the six round NZ championship. That’s to pay for transport, accommodation for unpaid crew and drivers, meals, fuel, tyres and entry fees. That’s just the running cost, the car is on top of that, more if you crash.

Flying cars and parts in containers around the globe, having paid crew staying in hotels, paying your co-driver, buying or leasing top cars all adds up.

Where is all this cash coming from? Self made millionaires, rich Daddys, government funding???

Pons, Prokop, Toshi, Nasser, Sandell, Sousa, Brynildsen, Araujo, Grondal, Flodin, Linari etc.

Show me the money!

Please note: Pessimists need not reply to this thread.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Good question!! Saying that, although the sums seems huge, in the grand scheme of world sport, they actually aren't. Compared to F1, it's loose change.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J.

Where is all this cash coming from? Self made millionaires, rich Daddys
    there you go....

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Bernardo Sousa is Rich Daddy, he's father is owner of a transport company I think.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brynildsen is not from a wealthy family.. Not in this order anyway..
    Never give up...

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Apparently one of the team managers let slip to a tour group in NZ the yearly budgets for various teams.

He said 28 million euros for citroen (junior team also?),

24 million euros for Ford, (as above I presume it includes that covers Stobbart as well)

and 4 million euros for Petter.

Sound about right?

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelopard
    Apparently one of the team managers let slip to a tour group in NZ the yearly budgets for various teams.

He said 28 million euros for citroen (junior team also?),

24 million euros for Ford, (as above I presume it includes that covers Stobbart as well)

and 4 million euros for Petter.

Sound about right?
    I was there, he was talking pretty generally but Petter has the budget of 1/5 of Ford and 1/7 of Citroen.. I think thats what he said.. I'm pretty sure my old man would have it recorded on his hd video camera. I too think it included the semi works team

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6789
    I was there, he was talking pretty generally but Petter has the budget of 1/5 of Ford and 1/7 of Citroen.. I think thats what he said.. I'm pretty sure my old man would have it recorded on his hd video camera. I too think it included the semi works team
    Thanks for that, I was going on what my friend told me, so in fact the Ford budget might actually be only 20 million euros which would be possibly 8 million euros less than citroens, presuming of course that Petter's team budget is 4 million.

Next time I see my friend I'll ask him again.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44
    Bernardo Sousa is Rich Daddy, he's father is owner of a transport company I think.
    Future WRC champion Conrad Rautencrash's dad owns a diamond mine i think....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    Future WRC champion Conrad Rautencrash's dad owns a diamond mine i think....
    ROFL!!!

Its interesting about the money being mentioned here. Its under 30 million euros for a full WRC drive, where as a few years ago Subaru's budget was 50 million euros total. That is from the Engineering The World Rally series on TV.
    I know the value of the Euro has changed but it just goes to show how bloody HUGE the marketing budget of a car manufacturer is on a global scale.