Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFan
    bruton IS part of the nascar community
    Bruton Smith is a track owner who hosts NASCAR and Indy Car races, just as does The Hulman/George Family, whom Randy Bernard happens to work for. Bruton Smith is as much of a part of the NASCAR community as the The Hulman/George family.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Bruton Smith is a track owner who hosts NASCAR and Indy Car races, just as does The Hulman/George Family, whom Randy Bernard happens to work for. Bruton Smith is as much of a part of the NASCAR community as the The Hulman/George family.

exactly.....whats your point
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    exactly.....whats your point
    I guess then, according to you everyone, including the Indy Racing League, is part of the NASCAR community.

Hey, then Richard Petty was right when he said "NASCAR is racing."

Thanks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yOur not seriously attempting to suggest that Briton isn't part of the NASCAR community are you?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Bruton Smiith is part of the NASCAR world, but he isn't a decision maker, and he is a promotor. Like his ex-buddy Humpy Wheeler, he knows how to get headlines and draw attention to his event. He is tossing the IRL a bone by putting 20 million up for the first guy to win the 500 and the 600 in the same day. Of course, this would be assuming the Indy PR people would let the guy leave and hop on a plane minutes after his milk. Pictures, interviews...all the press...and that is assuming of course the race ends around 1500 EDT. It runs late, he would never make it unless they cut all that short.

Then he has to really beat the odds, and race 600 miles and WIN there too.

It is possible, and Tony Stewart made a pretty good run at it, but I don't think Bruton is too worried about his 20 mil. I will be surprised if one guy tries it this year. Maybe in future years, but as long as Honda is on the engine covers of all the Indycars, I cant see anyone doing it unless he hasn't a factory deal in NASCAR...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    He is tossing the IRL a bone by putting 20 million up for the first guy to win the 500 and the 600 in the same day. Of course, this would be assuming the Indy PR people would let the guy leave and hop on a plane minutes after his milk. Pictures, interviews...all the press...and that is assuming of course the race ends around 1500 EDT. It runs late, he would never make it unless they cut all that short.
    It wasn't Smith's idea, it was Bernard's. Smith isn't the one who is desperate.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ds-20m-gamble/

The new CEO of IndyCar, who came up with the idea two months ago of a proposed doubleheader with Charlotte that would pay $20 million to any driver winning the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day, was undoubtedly shocked to hear Smith broke the story on Thursday.

One, because Bernard thought they had an agreement to keep it quiet until later this month when there would be a dual press conference in Indy and Charlotte with drivers from both series.

And two because it’s not a done deal just yet and IMS owner Mari Hulman George has yet to sign off on it.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Bernard didn't put it to the press. It was one of his brain storms, but point taken.

I don't see any harm in doing it, and I think Bruton breaking the story is a little premmature since Mari Hulman didn't sign off on it, but lets also understand I would pay the 20 mill this year...because you and I both know that sponsorship and all the rest will preclude just about anyone from NASCAR save a few lesser lights such as John Andretti even attempting the double...and while I like John, I don't see him as a favourite in either race..
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yet it was in fact Smith who rushed to get it out there...

go figure......you need to paint this as some form of IRL desperation simply doesnt hold any water Lee Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yet it was in fact Smith who rushed to get it out there...

go figure......you need to paint this as some form of IRL desperation simply doesnt hold any water Lee Roy
    First, if you want to call Smith part of the "NASCAR Community", help yourself, since there is no clear definition of what a "NASCAR Community" is.

Second, if this comes to pass, wait and see which race is desperate enough to change it's start time to accomodate this. It won't be the race in Charlotte.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First, if you want to call Smith part of the "NASCAR Community", help yourself, since there is no clear definition of what a "NASCAR Community" is.

Second, if this comes to pass, wait and see which race is desperate enough to change it's start time to accomodate this. It won't be the race in Charlotte.

is that your 2 part argument?

boy, for a guy who I have always considered a solid poster that might be your weakest argument ever

*maybe its pandering to the nascar board folks