Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Pirelli...........ha ha ha...what a joke!!

When they were up against Michelin in WRC, they were rubbish.

However, let them in, as well as Michelin, Avon, Kuhmo....
    F1 shouldn't have a control tyre if it's meant to be the 'Pinnacle'.
    Maybe they should be awarded the contract to supply tyres for wheelie bins in the paddock.....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well if they are that bad then thats what f1 needs, tyres with poor grip, that will improve the racing, or perhaps even tyres with good grip that dont last long, they not be great but think of the racing
    Mystery strikes again!

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Rock
    well if they are that bad then thats what f1 needs, tyres with poor grip, that will improve the racing, or perhaps even tyres with good grip that dont last long, they not be great but think of the racing
    I would prefer tyre companies who can show that they can achieve targets they set, thanks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    rally tires are not f1 tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. If Pirelli have the resources and appetite to win, then let them play. There's only one way to prove if your tires are good enough for F1. Join.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Pirelli...........ha ha ha...what a joke!!

When they were up against Michelin in WRC, they were rubbish.

However, let them in, as well as Michelin, Avon, Kuhmo....
    F1 shouldn't have a control tyre if it's meant to be the 'Pinnacle'.
    When was the last time Pirelli and Michelin went head-to-head in the WRC? I remember that Subaru was one of the last manufacturers to use Pirellis when everyone else was on Michelins. Maybe Pirelli didn't win because the Subaru Impreza was such a poorly performing car.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    If there is only one manufacturer providing a spec tyre then I don't think the exact branding is going to make much difference. It is not that hard to produce the spec tyres Bridgestone has come up with this season, their tyres this year are nowhere near as advanced as the stuff they have come up with in the past when they were locked in battle with Michelin. The tyres are designed and produced down to a much lower cost than previously.

If Pirelli or Avon are not that capable of producing great tyres we will not see the effects with single spec tyres but only when there is a tyre war. That isn't the case.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    How about several suppliers instead of several compounds, and each tire must be used at least once during the race
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So it's basically going to be a choice between Pirelli, Michelin and Avon.

Given Michelin's "previous" with the whole Indy thing, and the fact that generally speaking they produce winning tyres when in a competitive situation, that probably rules them out.

I've nothing against Pirelli, and while Michelin generally speaking owned them in the WRC, there was a period around the turn of the millennium when there wasn't much in it, and on certain rallies Pirelli had a significant edge meaning usually uncompetitive cars like the big SEAT Cordobas could challenge for podiums.

There you go, a way of shaking up the order without resorting to any nonsense.

I want all three

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Once again, there is a risk of common sense breaking out.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83372

Pirelli has submitted its bid to become Formula 1's sole supplier of tyres for 2011 to the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the Italian company adamant that a tyre war is not the right direction for the sport to head next season.

AUTOSPORT understands that Pirelli would be willing to open up the prospect of a tyre war from 2013, which would give its engineers and teams a two-year transition period to make the move to the much talked-about 18-inch tyres.

It is believed that Michelin is already ready to consider delaying the introduction of 18-inch tyres for several years so teams do not face huge development costs in adapting their cars to totally new rubber for next season, while Pirelli is equally open to a compromise solution.
    Get someone in to carry on with the 13" rims, and sort out a proper tyre war on the new spec in 2013. Logical.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    Get someone in to carry on with the 13" rims, and sort out a proper tyre war on the new spec in 2013. Logical.
    Well yeah...being both honest and realistic, if you offered that deal to me as a fan I'd take it (unless that Mayan doomsday prophecy thing comes true!), but a 2013 tyre war is not guaranteed even with 18" rims so we'll see...