Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkney Out

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Pinkney Out

According to his interview on ITV seems like it could be the last we see of him.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't believe that for a second. He has obligations to sponsors etc. And what's more, talking to a driver who's just been taken out of a race is never the best time to get a true opinion of how they feel. Things get said that haven't been thought over. I wouldn't take it seriously.
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Heat of the moment. He'll be back.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I always enjoy a good 'heat of the moment' interview with a passionate driver — Andy Rouse at Pembrey in '93 ('It's just bloody ridiculous. I want to go motor racing, not stock car racing, thank you') and, of course, John Cleland at Silverstone in '92 ('The man's an animal') spring to mind! It would be a great shame if Pinkney were to quit, but I don't really think he will.

Does anyone think he has a point about driving standards, though? There's no doubt that we see many more 'impossible' moves than we used to, but generally I thought today's races at Rockingham were no dirtier than anything from 10 or 20 years ago, and that the action was, for the most part, very close and clean. Maybe Pinkney is also frustrated with his turbo Vectra not performing as well as he thought it might.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it's just the fact that people still can't get the hang of the first hairpin. Nearly every driver in every race made a mistake there at some point, and when you combine that with the fact that all the drivers arrive there at the same time on the opening lap, you're bound to get a collision. It's a difficult corner because it's so wide, you have lots of potential lines entering the corner, but only a couple upon exit. Somehow they have to squeeze through and it doesn't always work.
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I always enjoy a good 'heat of the moment' interview with a passionate driver — Andy Rouse at Pembrey in '93 ('It's just bloody ridiculous. I want to go motor racing, not stock car racing, thank you') and, of course, John Cleland at Silverstone in '92 ('The man's an animal') spring to mind! It would be a great shame if Pinkney were to quit, but I don't really think he will.

Does anyone think he has a point about driving standards, though? There's no doubt that we see many more 'impossible' moves than we used to, but generally I thought today's races at Rockingham were no dirtier than anything from 10 or 20 years ago, and that the action was, for the most part, very close and clean. Maybe Pinkney is also frustrated with his turbo Vectra not performing as well as he thought it might.
    I agree, half the grid may be club drivers, but they have had some success in those club categories so they are no mugs. Maybe Pinkney like you say is jsut frustrated after "a bad day at the office"
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't believe Pinkney will walk after just one bad weekend.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 Astra
    I think it's just the fact that people still can't get the hang of the first hairpin. Nearly every driver in every race made a mistake there at some point, and when you combine that with the fact that all the drivers arrive there at the same time on the opening lap, you're bound to get a collision. It's a difficult corner because it's so wide, you have lots of potential lines entering the corner, but only a couple upon exit. Somehow they have to squeeze through and it doesn't always work.
    Do I not recall a certain David Pinkney misjudging the self-same hairpin on the first lap of the third Rockingham race in 2007, thus managing to spin himself, John George and Jason Hughes across the track right in front of the whole field? That was pretty amateurish, I thought.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC2
    Heat of the moment. He'll be back.
    Agreed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Do I not recall a certain David Pinkney misjudging the self-same hairpin on the first lap of the third Rockingham race in 2007, thus managing to spin himself, John George and Jason Hughes across the track right in front of the whole field? That was pretty amateurish, I thought.
    "That was then, this is now". As I said, he was grumpy.
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk