Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    But it's not a BTCC specific problem. Touring car racing and British motorsport are both desperately struggling this year.
    I don't agree with 'desperately struggling'. Both the BTCC and WTCC grids are perfectly healthy in terms of numbers of cars, even with the various withdrawals. What is more concerning to me is the lack of unity between the future rule books for the two championships as currently proposed.

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Who exactly is planning to enter the WTCC next year though? Not SEAT or BMW as works teams..
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Who exactly is planning to enter the WTCC next year though? Not SEAT or BMW as works teams..
    BMW are certainly erring on the side of DTM, with this year possibly being their last in WTCC I feel. The WTCC still remains a fantastic proving ground for manufacturers - however it can only take one season with not enough interest to kill a championship unfortunately. This is where the BTCC stands stronger I hope.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    BMW are certainly erring on the side of DTM, with this year possibly being their last in WTCC I feel. The WTCC still remains a fantastic proving ground for manufacturers - however it can only take one season with not enough interest to kill a championship unfortunately. This is where the BTCC stands stronger I hope.
    In many ways, it's good that the FIA has been quieter of late, but equally I wonder whether it has much of an idea of what it's going to do with the WTCC. It is a difficult conundrum, for sure.

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Jonathan Ashman and the rest of the bureaucrats have a lot to answer for.

Touring cars needs to decide which way its going to. Whether it is going to remain a competition between manufacturers, teams and different cars like it always has been in the BTCC, or whether they are going to go down the route of GT3 and laterly GT1 with all the cars equalised (in theory). I know which I'd prefer...
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So much for equalization by the FIA... did anyone watch the the GT1 race in Abu Dhabi?
    Please ignore ALL of the above....

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Yep, and already teams are kicking up a fuss!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But looking to the future is it all that strong?

- No one has committed to building a single NGTC car yet
    - Teams struggling to run cars they've got atm, WSR, 888, Motorbase all having their difficulties.
    - TV deal up at the end of the year, BTCC treatment already declining, unlikely to be renewed for 2011.

But it's not a BTCC specific problem. Touring car racing and British motorsport are both desperately struggling this year. So sad..
    How do you know people haven't committed to building NGTC cars - teams may well have plans moving forwards now they know more on the regs but don't want to shout about it. Also, considering that most teams are focused on their current programmes, NGTC isn't at the forefront of their minds.

Also, TV deal unlikely to be renewed - says who? Treatment isn't declining - there is one race weekend where the final race isn't being shown live. It's not like ITV are turning round and saying 'Well the cricket is on so we'll give you 30 mins of highlights instead of all the live stuff'. And if it was declining, why would they have given extra coverage this year....