Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another IL team bites the dust

Sponsorship woes have struck Genoa Racing Indy Lights program whom they officially ceased operations prior to the St Petersburg GP. Unable to secure sponsors, Genoa Lights have placed all their assets for sale. How can teams can secure sponsors when half or 3/4 of the sponsors are funding teams - including F1 - overseas?

And what will it be for the LMPC program?

Link: http://www.eformulacarnews.com/news_info.php?n=6875

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    With the Indy Lites TV schedule don't be surprised to see more of this type of news coming soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The whole series needs to bite the dust. Its a pointless, waste of time and money.

The cars don't translate. They have no sponsors. They have no TV package. They have no American drivers. They have no fans. They only have about 4 or 5 teams left. Doing well there, means nothing, when it comes to future Indy Car chances.

Just fold it up and put it with all the other American junior formula car series that aren't around anymore.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    The whole series needs to bite the dust. Its a pointless, waste of time and money.

The cars don't translate. They have no sponsors. They have no TV package. They have no American drivers. They have no fans. They only have about 4 or 5 teams left. Doing well there, means nothing, when it comes to future Indy Car chances.

Just fold it up and put it with all the other American junior formula car series that aren't around anymore.
    It happened once before. After the 2001 season, Toyota Atlantics replaced Indy Lights as the primary feeder series. The IRL snapped it up for the 2002 season.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Placid
    And what will it be for the LMPC program?
    The LMPC program placed 3rd in 12 hours of Sebring last weekend. The team looked sharp as did the car, all with part-time help. I sure hope they find some support after an effort like that.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Sad...Formula Atlantic and Indy Lights die within month's of each other for all intensive purposes. No idea how you put more American's in IRL cars without it...but this is more fallout from the stupidity of the last 15 plus years..
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    but this is more fallout from the stupidity of the last 15 plus years..
    No, not really.

Just a case of too many formula car series, that too few are willing to pay for and too few care about in this country.

Americans weren't getting to Indy Cars even with Atlantics and Lights (whether Atlantics or Lights were healthy or not). So that makes no difference.

Two American kids won these two championships just last year. Where are they today? Why are lesser drivers (who they beat on the track) in cars at St. Pete?

These series have proven pointless for the numerous reasons I stated above.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    No, not really.

Just a case of too many formula car series, that too few are willing to pay for and too few care about in this country.

Americans weren't getting to Indy Cars even with Atlantics and Lights (whether Atlantics or Lights were healthy or not). So that makes no difference.

Two American kids won these two championships just last year. Where are they today? Why are lesser drivers (who they beat on the track) in cars at St. Pete?

These series have proven pointless for the numerous reasons I stated above.
    Well Scott, you want to now explain to me how an 19 year old kid driving a Formula Ford in SCCA is going to get to have a shot at getting to the IRL without it? Formula Mazda and then???????? Atlantics and Lights are all but gone or going, and it wont be any easier.

As I said, you keep seeing this as some evil conspiracy, and I keep telling you that the reason most Americans are not considered is because more Americans race in sprints and midgets and end up going to stock cars to make money. The few that are left and talented enough to go to the IRL are getting overlooked for sure, but it is a symptom of the economy. That, and a glut of good drivers who have grown up with the engine behind them.....who were NOT born in the US. It is a tough game to get into. You have 24 seats, with not much turnover...so just being champion of Atlantics or Indy Lights really doesn't mean much...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Genoa Lights and LMPC programs are two different Genoas. The Genoa in LMPC is the actual Genoa owned by Angelo Ferro and run by Thomas Knapp, formerly of IndyCar, and has been around for decades. Genoa Lights is run by Mark Olson, who raced for Michael Crawford in FIL in 2008, and uses the Genoa name. Two completely different entities and animals.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa

1. As I said, you keep seeing this as some evil conspiracy, and I keep telling you that the reason most Americans are not considered is because more Americans race in sprints and midgets and end up going to stock cars to make money.

2. The few that are left and talented enough to go to the IRL are getting overlooked for sure, but it is a symptom of the economy.

3. So just being champion of Atlantics or Indy Lights really doesn't mean much...

1. Hence the term "PROFESSIONAL" race driver. Maybe they would be smarter to aspire to race in a sport, where they aren't wanted and most that are there, aren't paid. That would be smart.

2. Was the economy in the crapper in the mid 90's too? Look back at how the trends were in the late 80's to the late 90's. Many of the better American drivers, weren't getting to Indy Cars then either. The numbers were dwindling almost by the year. When Rahal, Mike Andretti, Sullivan and Little Al left, where were their replacements?

3. Exactly. Hence, my point of all of these formula car feeder series being irrelevent, unpopular and a waste of time.