Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OFFICIAL: New Bernie approved F1 movie set to hit screens in 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81996

New movie set to hit screens in 2011

By Jonathan Noble
    Thursday, March 11th 2010, 18:15 GMT

Jabouille, Villeneuve and Pironi, Brazil 1980An officially sanctioned Formula 1 movie is set to hit the cinema screens early next year after a landmark deal was reached with the sport's commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone.

Preparations are now well underway for the film, which will be an action documentary charting the history of the sport but focusing especially on the period between 1968 and 1982.

The film is being produced by Hollywood-based Michael Shevloff, and is being worked on by the partnership of Oscar winners Mark Monroe (writer) and Paul Crowder (director).

With the full support of Ecclestone, it is hoped production for the film will be completed this year with a release date scheduled for early in 2011.

Monroe, who won an Oscar with Crowder last week for his recent documentary film 'The Cove', said the plan was for the F1 movie to appeal to both casual fans and the hardcore enthusiast as it charted the sport's history and growth.

"My partners and I really believe that documentaries can be entertaining and engaging - not just reporting facts," he told AUTOSPORT during a visit to the Bahrain Grand Prix.

"We want to make a big action movie - do something that puts people in the car and makes them gasp at the speed of the thing. Then, tell the human stories all the while, so you can dip in and out of these human stories with these big action moments that are enhanced from archive footage.

"We will do it with music, flare and energy - and get people excited about it. It is a pretty tall task as we have to hit the right tone so the proper fans don't think it is a rubbish, but also make it broad enough so that someone who doesn't know anything about the sport can really enjoy it.

"That is the task and it is a tough one – but it can be done and that is what we have set out to do."

Although previous plans for F1-based movies have fallen through, with Sylvester Stallone abandoning his own efforts and making the widely-lambasted 'Driven' movie based on ChampCar instead, Shevloff believes that by having a documentary approach, rather than creating fiction, the idea had every chance of being successful.

"It is a tough order to make a dramatic film about a dramatic sport," he explained. "To make a film and say we will spend 100 million dollars or 200 million dollars on this movie – well Bernie would just reply and say the teams spend a billion dollars on the sport.

"So I don't know how you would make it bigger than it is. It is bigger in real life than you could ever make in a film, so a documentary is a much better form for this. The real thing is so huge that if you put it in a movie, the whole thing would seem contrived."

The film does not yet have an official name – but it has been decided the main focus will be on the period between Jim Clark's death at Hockenheim in 1968 and Gilles Villeneuve's fatal accident at Zolder in 1982.

"We don't have a title. We are still looking at titles – and it is the last thing on our plate at the moment," added Shevloff.

"We have had various working titles, from 'The Greatest Show on Earth', to 'The Untitled F1 Doc'. We need to find something that is a film rather than a documentary title – we are intent on making people see it as a film.
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Anything's got to be better than Driven
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Anything's got to be better than Driven

You are the master of understatement! It was not clear if this was to be done with archival footage or recreations. Anyone know which? It sounds as if it is archival.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Where do I buy tickets???? Sounds like a quality idea.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    how much do you reckon they paid bernie for the licensing on that then?
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe F1

The film is being produced by Hollywood-based Michael Shevloff.

The man who brought us "Temptation Island"

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well I am not optimistic, but at least they are documenting the golden age of the modern era for me personally.....f1 died a little when we lost Gilles....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What an incredible movie set it was. I had watched it and enjoyed thoroughly. You know the life has become very busy but I think that we should get some family entertainment time and nothing can be better as watching the shows together. I would love to enjoy the shows by Andy Yeatman with my family on our new home theater.