Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I've been hearing a bit about the Falklands war recently. And there is an argument that much of it was down to Thatcher. Her governments policies had been completely disasterous up to that point and it looked like she was going to lose the next election,, to be replaced by the SDP, not Labour!

But instead of reaching a negotiated settlement with Argentina she let things string out and went to war, of course if the war was lost, then she was out, but she didn't have anything to lose at that point. Of course Britain won and the history of this country was very different as a result.
    As I posted on another thread, it is true that the Tories, far from defending the Falklands to the utmost in the run-up to the Argentine invasion, had withdrawn a significant part of the islands' naval protection — a move that had previously been rejected by the preceding Labour government. But part of the argument you relate is definitely faulty in my view, because the SDP probably wouldn't have got in without proportional representation, even had there been no Falklands war, or if it had gone badly.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Questioning the official versions of events is great and to be encouraged. However, there is a big difference between doing this and adopting wacky conspiracy-based viewpoints. Sadly, the latter seem to be gaining prominence, possibly because so many people are easily influenced and don't have very well-developed critical faculties.
    Well developed critical faculties is what people like Bruce claim to have Ben. THat is the distressing part. Questioning the official version of things is fine if the state makes a statement. However, once the free press investigates and says yes, the gov't has not lied to us, that really is the end of it. The press of course has assets and experts to question and give credence to. Nothing from any credible media source has ever pointed to some hidden conspiracy.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Well developed critical faculties is what people like Bruce claim to have Ben. THat is the distressing part.
    In fact, such people believe they have better-developed critical faculties, which is even worse.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    In fact, such people believe they have better-developed critical faculties, which is even worse.
    I wont disagree there. I dislike conspiracy theories on just about anything. 99% of the time they are just fantasies....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [youtube]hNSDwGPYfMM[/youtube]

http://www.lyrics007.com/Missing%20P...%20Lyrics.html

mokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportscarBruce
    [youtube]hNSDwGPYfMM[/youtube]

http://www.lyrics007.com/Missing%20P...%20Lyrics.html

mokin:
    Perhaps instead of speaking through youtube, you could actually speak for yourself?
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

In response to the conspiracy theory, I have only one thing to add to that, and its not backed up by any scientific anything, nor by a snippet from youtube; only by a personal observation.

How many people here remember the video of President Bush being told of the the airplanes striking the WTC as he sat in that kindergarten classroom that morning, when Andy Card walked in and whispered in his ear. Is it just me, or did anyone else here see that fleeting "deer in the headlights" look on the President's face,immediately followed by a look of stony resolve? I remember it like it was yesterday. He at first looked like a man who was punched in the gut, then like a man ready to do something about it. He did not have the look of a man that just pulled off the crime of the millenium.

I may have disagreed with almost every policy the Bush Administration ever set forth, and I may have gotten to the point that I couldn't even bear to hear him open his trap and say words like "Strategery",but there is NO way on this earth that I am ready to believe that he or any other President of the United States would EVER hatch a plan to kill 3000+ Americans ON AMERICAN SOIL, launch an attack on his OWN military HQ, which he would sorely need for any other war plans he may have had wanted to be carried out. For what reason, to take out the man that tried to kill his dad?He didn't need to do all that. All he had to do was call up a well timed air strike based on "actionable intelligence" that something was afoot in Iraq, something his predecessor did many times, taken some bad press for it, and moved on. He didn't need all the headache that 9/11 caused........

Think about it....
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1
    In response to the conspiracy theory, I have only one thing to add to that, and its not backed up by any scientific anything, nor by a snippet from youtube; only by a personal observation.

How many people here remember the video of President Bush being told of the the airplanes striking the WTC as he sat in that kindergarten classroom that morning, when Andy Card walked in and whispered in his ear. Is it just me, or did anyone else here see that fleeting "deer in the headlights" look on the President's face,immediately followed by a look of stony resolve? I remember it like it was yesterday. He at first looked like a man who was punched in the gut, then like a man ready to do something about it. He did not have the look of a man that just pulled off the crime of the millenium.

I may have disagreed with almost every policy the Bush Administration ever set forth, and I may have gotten to the point that I couldn't even bear to hear him open his trap and say words like "Strategery",but there is NO way on this earth that I am ready to believe that he or any other President of the United States would EVER hatch a plan to kill 3000+ Americans ON AMERICAN SOIL, launch an attack on his OWN military HQ, which he would sorely need for any other war plans he may have had wanted to be carried out. For what reason, to take out the man that tried to kill his dad?He didn't need to do all that. All he had to do was call up a well timed air strike based on "actionable intelligence" that something was afoot in Iraq, something his predecessor did many times, taken some bad press for it, and moved on. He didn't need all the headache that 9/11 caused........

Think about it....
    Another point. Many of the idiots who think George W Bush is too dumb to come out of the rain, like one Rosie O'Donnell will in the next breath name him as the mastermind of this plot that no one has figured out yet. So is he stupid??? Or Smart???? Cant have it both ways....

I think he isn't the sharpest knife in the world, but Slorydn has the scene in that school room down perfectly. There wasn't one person there from the media in that room that didn't see that shock and feel it from the President. You cant fake that....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    [quote="Mark in Oshawa"]

What was actually said to him there? You would think that he would just be told something like "Sir, we have a situation, you must come with us now" or something to that effect.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1

Think about it....
    My view exactly. The notion of a conspiracy is simply laughable.