Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109
Results 1,081 to 1,089 of 1089
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    I have the vaguest recollection of this story, but can't put a name to it. As a wild guess, I will say the Buenos Aires 1000 km of 1970?
    That would make sense and it sounds like something the 'greatest living Lancastrian' - Brian Redman might have been involved in. But it would have to be 71 as the 70 race was not a round of the WSC, just a trial.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Right continent

But somewhat earlier

This country's race only featured once in the World Sports Car Championship in all its forms from 1953 to now
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Right continent

But somewhat earlier

This country's race only featured once in the World Sports Car Championship in all its forms from 1953 to now
    How about 1000 km Caracas 1957 and Phil Hill making the detour?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Spot on.

Your question
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Now that was tough, without the clues I never would have found the answer. That was the race where the Maserati team destroyed all their cars and their hopes of wresting the World Championship away from Ferrari. That was their best chance for sure as they had the cars and the drivers to do it. Sadly bad luck prevailed, but they came just short of 2 World titles for 1957. Instead it marked the end of a an official works sportscar team.

I will have a question in a hour or so.

Back to Le Mans for the next question.
    This winning duo both drove for the Cooper F1 works team, but at different times. Their best combined result for Cooper was a win, and a 3rd. Who are they? When did they win Le Mans, for which team?

Back to Le Mans for the next question.
    This winning duo both drove for the Cooper F1 works team, but at different times. Their best combined result for Cooper was a win, and a 3rd. Who are they? When did they win Le Mans, for which team?
    Lucien Bianchi and Pedro Rodriguez 1968 JW Automotive GT40.
    I got LB's autograph on the Autosport cover photo later that year at the start ceremony of the London - Sydney Marathon (Crystal Palace) -For Pedro I had to wait until the BOAC 1000 in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Lucien Bianchi and Pedro Rodriguez 1968 JW Automotive GT40.
    I got LB's autograph on the Autosport cover photo later that year at the start ceremony of the London - Sydney Marathon (Crystal Palace) -For Pedro I had to wait until the BOAC 1000 in 1970.
    That's correct. There is an impressive list of Le Mans winners with Cooper experience, going right back to Mike Hawthorn-Ivor Bueb, Roy Salvadori. On the F1 works team, Jochen Rindt, Masten Gregory, Bruce McLaren, Phil Hill, Chris Amon and Ludovico Scarfiotti also had outings, however brief. Others like Gendebien probably drove private Cooper F1s.

That's correct. There is an impressive list of Le Mans winners with Cooper experience, going right back to Mike Hawthorn-Ivor Bueb, Roy Salvadori. On the F1 works team, Jochen Rindt, Masten Gregory, Bruce McLaren, Phil Hill, Chris Amon and Ludovico Scarfiotti also had outings, however brief. Others like Gendebien probably drove private Cooper F1s.
    IIRC Lucien was driving a DS20 in the London - Sydney and was streets ahead of the field when involved in a crash with a non-competing car about 100 miles from the finish, leaving the way clear for the Cowan car to win. But for that, Bianchi's record for '68 would have been very similar to Vic Elford's - Major Rally win, Major WSC win and Grand Prix points in the Cooper-BRM, shame that Brian Redman didn't also go rallying!