Page 59 of 129 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: GT Class

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y View Post
    Forget the turbo, that's an interesting looking manifold and whatever that red bit qualifies as.
    The exhaust manifold? Huh? Just a cast iron thing with a heat-shield...You want one? (I think I still have 1-2 from when I built some "B" motors)

The actual rally cars were homologated under Group 4 I believe, and so had a tubular header.. That waste gate actuator looks impressive but let me tell you they were an enormous pain in the ass to set and it often could take 3-4 times and with the paper thin silicone rubber diaphragm inside, insanely easy to rip the rubber...It was such a relief when they finally moved to the nice ordinary waste gate actuators like these;

If you're referring to the intake manifold, then that is just standard Saab 2,0 K-jet manifold..Quite long...Used on normal aspirated production cars (where its internal volume was a big bottle neck and limited n.a. power to right around 175hp--functioning much like todays accursed restrictors...but that was only a problem on Group 1 and 2 and later GpA cars..and extremely few ever bothered with the car in Gp1,2 or A)
    Last edited by janvanvurpa; 5th October 2015 at 15:33.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 161 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucci View Post
    The only thing what worries me : how will he seat in so small cabin, it will be difficult even to get in the car....
    Dobberkau is nearly 2m , Stölzel a more sturdy fellow... so no worries.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    The exhaust manifold? Huh? Just a cast iron thing with a heat-shield...You want one? (I think I still have 1-2 from when I built some "B" motors
    The heat plate was blocking some of the tubing. It looked like the wastegate was coming off before all the cylinders were collected. If my WRX ever dies I'll probably visit a friend in Portland with an eye to finding a 240. A 99 would be nice, too but they're not as common. I've got a friend that rallies one in Missouri, and there's a black 900 SPG that still turns up in Chicago in the summer months, but that's it.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Back in 1970' everything was different. 4WD cars were forbidden in rallying (...) Just one little thing was enough to make things upside down - to allow 4WD.
    Indeed! 4WD was allowed in WRC from 1979 by suggestion of the Audi representative in the rally manufacturers commission (then designated BPICA), that managed to convince other manus that Audi was interested in rallying VW Iltis derivade models! FIA adopted the BPICA unanimous recommendation and the first 4WD WRC entered car was a Gr.2 Range Rover, in '79 Ivory Coast rally. The Quattro presentation in '80 Geneva Motorshow was a real bombshell in rally world...
    Last edited by Rally Power; 4th September 2015 at 02:52.
    Rally addict since 1982

5. Likes: janvanvurpa (7th September 2015),pantealex (4th September 2015)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Nice to see the Tuthill Porsche R-GT in action on my local rally stages this weekend ! Hired by John Stone for the NW Stages (Promenade Rally, Wirral)

#M-SPORTER

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    The exhaust manifold? Huh? Just a cast iron thing with a heat-shield...You want one? (I think I still have 1-2 from when I built some "B" motors)

The actual rally cars were homologated under Group 4 I believe, and so had a tubular header.. That waste gate actuator looks impressive but let me tell you they were an enormous pain in the ass to set and it often could take 3-4 times and with the paper thing silicone rubber diaphragm inside, insanely easy to rip the rubber...It was such a relief when they finally moved to the nice ordinary waste gate actuators like these;

If you're referring to the intake manifold, then that is just standard Saab 2,0 K-jet manifold..Quite long...Used on normal aspirated production cars (where its internal volume was a big bottle neck and limited n.a. power to right around 175hp--functioning much like todays accursed restrictors...but that was only a problem on Group 1 and 2 and later GpA cars..and extremely few ever bothered with the car in Gp1,2 or A)
    Excuse my disinterest in the technical stuff... normally I'd be all over that shit but right now I am more excited because I just figured out who you are hahaha!
    You're that dude in that rally documentary I watched a while ago who started rallying because you were getting rained on (who also has a cat in the work shop)!

The world is a small place.

...aight, enough off topic, back to technical stuff and rally GT cars. If they could make the series a bit more accessible and a bit more large volume it would be great. I do think that the speed they keep them to right now is fine. Manufacturers would be pissed if they overtook their machines on pure pace and people are excited to see them anyway.

Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Nice to see the Tuthill Porsche R-GT in action on my local rally stages this weekend ! Hired by John Stone for the NW Stages (Promenade Rally, Wirral)
    Wow! The livery looks fantastic! I'm curious to read your impressions after the rally!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Another great pic from Friday night...

Video clip: https://twitter.com/welburn_chris/st...80579947294720

The car looks and sounds fantastic but wasn't the fastest on the tight, twisty stages (finished 24th). Plus being hired I dont think the driver wanted to risk doing any damage.

Results: http://www.amcrallyresults.co.uk/psroall2015.pdf
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    With the RGT class and interest around it growing it will be interesting to see if Tuthill add another chassis next year. That's the same car that was on the Monte, Circuit of Ireland, Lurgan Park, Ypres, Germany etc and competed all last year.

A really big off certainly puts them at risk.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I'd like to know were the rest of these cars are? We've only really seen the Tuthill & Dumas cars on numerous events. And what about other marques? It doesn't have to be Porsche, as much as I am a fan of them.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???