Page 36 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: GT Class

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Very few Porsche's in the Netherlands, there were some a few years ago but those were more like "Group N", a bit like what Duez was driving in Monte Carlo. Rules in national rallying allow much more. Porsche's are more seen in France (GT+, search for Gilles Nantet, Romain Dumas etc), Belgium (Snijers, Vanparijs, Claerhout, Viaene etc) and Germany (Zeltner and Dobberkau for example). I think the rules in these 3 countries are quite similar. I think HP varies from 400 to 470hp. I know that the Porsche of BMA (that Snijers drove 2 times last year) had some 420-425hp, sequential gearbox, many ultra-light parts (the doors are like made of plastic), Reiger suspension with extra long suspension travel (modified to the original) and much more, it's a brilliant piece of engineering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJLFKNATU0 The sound (or in this case music) is very different to what we've seen in WRC...
    Also I think in Portugal and Spain rules are more free for the Porsches.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    Well, in Portugal the rules are a bit unclear... because... teams can do almost what they want and then homologate the car into the GT Cup class... that have no regulation! Or, if there is one, it's based on a car built first.
    I like the car, but I thin k this rules are a bit unfair to the guys who bought R5 and S2000! Speacially when you see R5/S2000 try to go as flat as they can over corners, and then you see the Porsche of Ze Pedro, brake later (since it as bigger brakes) slowly make the corner, and then bullet out of it and win rallys this way!

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Very few Porsche's in the Netherlands, there were some a few years ago but those were more like "Group N", a bit like what Duez was driving in Monte Carlo. Rules in national rallying allow much more. Porsche's are more seen in France (GT+, search for Gilles Nantet, Romain Dumas etc), Belgium (Snijers, Vanparijs, Claerhout, Viaene etc) and Germany (Zeltner and Dobberkau for example). I think the rules in these 3 countries are quite similar. I think HP varies from 400 to 470hp. I know that the Porsche of BMA (that Snijers drove 2 times last year) had some 420-425hp, sequential gearbox, many ultra-light parts (the doors are like made of plastic), Reiger suspension with extra long suspension travel (modified to the original) and much more, it's a brilliant piece of engineering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJLFKNATU0 The sound (or in this case music) is very different to what we've seen in WRC...
    What is the rev limit on that Porsche, sounds wonderful!!

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingTuga View Post
    Well, in Portugal the rules are a bit unclear... because... teams can do almost what they want and then homologate the car into the GT Cup class... that have no regulation! Or, if there is one, it's based on a car built first.
    I like the car, but I thin k this rules are a bit unfair to the guys who bought R5 and S2000! Speacially when you see R5/S2000 try to go as flat as they can over corners, and then you see the Porsche of Ze Pedro, brake later (since it as bigger brakes) slowly make the corner, and then bullet out of it and win rallys this way!
    Belive me that driving P911GT3 cup car on rally stages requiers "bull balls". The handling is very tricky, to find a limit with engine behind rear axle is nowhere so "easy job" like in rally spec cars R5/S2000.
    I staded already many times: 911 was never created for rallying, so to be fast or even faster than R5/S2000 is always related with a lot of risks. Respect to all 911 drivers....

5. Likes: CWJ (29th September 2014),stefanvv (28th September 2014),tommeke_B (28th September 2014),vino_93 (29th September 2014)
    Liked 161 Times in 79 Posts
    Germany (Zeltner and Dobberkau for example). I think the rules in these 3 countries are quite similar. I think HP varies from 400 to 470hp. I know that the Porsche of BMA (that Snijers drove 2 times last year) had some 420-425hp, sequential gearbox, many ultra-light parts
    Leading German 997 have 425 hp from 3.800cc engine, air restrictor, sequential 6 speed holinger gearbox and about 1.350kg empty weight.

Main difference to Belgium should be cylinder capacity?

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    What size of restrictor the German cars have?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 77 Times in 41 Posts
    The 2015 RGT Cup has officially been announced!
    It will be run on these 5 events:

Rallye Monte-Carlo
    GEKO Ypres Rally
    Rallye Deutschland
    Rallye International du Valais
    Tour de Corse

Great news! I am looking forward to this and hope for decent entries.

http://www.tuthillporsche.com/blog/f...-cup-wrc-2015/

9. Likes: A FONDO (30th September 2014),AndyRAC (29th September 2014),Maui J. (30th September 2014),Mirek (29th September 2014),pantealex (30th September 2014),stefanvv (29th September 2014)
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    Now that I will watch on TV!

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Very interesting debate on this topic in the french wrc round thread. I paste Mireks view in here because it capture the essence very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Of course I know that. I like them because they are very spectacular for the people. In most of typical spectator places R5 cars are boring (Fiesta especially). GTs are loud with bad traction, people like that. Of course in high speed sections they are not so nice to watch like S2000 for example but that's life. Something is good somewhere, something else elsewhere. I always like the variety and I'm absolutely sure that even though GTs would be quite slow and dangerous for Czech roads everybody here would welcome them just like always when they came to Rally Lužické Hory (Lausitz Cup wih Germans). They never did any good result but they always entertained the crowd.

Besides that don't forget that the cars currently running in Alsace are restricted with less power than stock ones...
    The GT class is in its infantcy right now, and FIA is playing with restrictors and power to get it right. The 911 is like a dragster, compared to a WRCar, fast on straights and slow in the corners. Like a 2wd group B car was.
    If people like rally cars that are glued to the asfalt, you could watch track racing instead. Rally in my view is man controlling machines on the edge, and that the physical grip is loosing to power. It is entertainment, and the fans like that they need to be driven brutally, and not on railtracks.

A supercar in rallycross, is basically a WRCar with 600 hp, and needs to be driven on the edge, and often the pilots loose.

to get that back to Rally the key is with Michelin and how soft a tire is alowed to be. If they have to use hockey puck hardness, they would be entertaing for the customer (you and me)!

But as always the right balance is always hard to find straight away, so the testbed FIA is using the GT class as now, could be useful for other classes in Rally as well!

loved to see the 911, Nissan 350 and others they used in Belgium a few years back, sonce they had sound, slides and speed, and the drivers had to break before the bends, so safety was covered as well!

12. Likes: AndyRAC (5th October 2014)
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    what cars will run in the class??