Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Adam Carroll's chances

Does anybody reckon Adam Carroll deserves a shot at F1? And does anybody think he will get in?

At 27, he is getting to a stage where he needs to move into F1 sooner, rather than later, if he wants to have a greater chance at being competitive. The likes of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen (driver of this generation), all got to F1 by their early 20s at the latest. I'm not saying he won't be competitive if he does land a ride in later years. I just think his prime time is now. I'll dig up two articles regarding Carroll which you may or may not have read already:

Lola
    http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-...1-for-carroll/

Virgin
    http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-...-seat-in-2010/

The latter is probably less likely with the lack of talk now about Carroll. Other drivers have been mentioned more likely to go alongside Glock.

I will be biased, with him being a young Irishman, that I'd like to see him get a shot at F1. But if he isn't on the grid soon, I think he might slip through the reigns.

*I've been away from this forum for a while up to Christmas so apologies if this has already been discussed.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    Does anybody reckon Adam Carroll deserves a shot at F1? And does anybody think he will get in?

At 27, he is getting to a stage where he needs to move into F1 sooner, rather than later, if he wants to have a greater chance at being competitive. The likes of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen (driver of this generation), all got to F1 by their early 20s at the latest. I'm not saying he won't be competitive if he does land a ride in later years. I just think his prime time is now. I'll dig up two articles regarding Carroll which you may or may not have read already:

Lola

Virgin

The latter is probably less likely with the lack of talk now about Carroll. Other drivers have been mentioned more likely to go alongside Glock.

I will be biased, with him being a young Irishman, that I'd like to see him get a shot at F1. But if he isn't on the grid soon, I think he might slip through the reigns.

*I've been away from this forum for a while up to Christmas so apologies if this has already been discussed.
    If he had a few million pounds in sponsorship available he could probably outbid for a seat with the USF1 team now set for some Argentinian driver named Lopez with $8 million and James Rossiter - why they chose him they have not announced.
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy

Lola

Virgin

Lola don't have a grid spot for 2010, and Virgin have already announced Glock and Di Grassi.

Currently the seats still available for this year are at Renault, Toro Rosso, Campos, Sauber and USF1, although unofficially a couple of those are probably already taken. Although the rumour mill currently says De La Rosa is favourite, I'd love to see Peter Sauber take a chance on Adam, he has a history of picking out talented newcomers and his car should be at least a competitive midfielder this year. Plus, Carroll and Kobayashi in the same team has all kinds of exciting potential!
    "Every man knows he is a sissy compared to Johnny Cash."
    - Bono

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Don't think we'll see Carroll racing in F1 though I won't be surprised if he tests.

Really he should've tested F1 cars by now but he's been looked over the likes of Senna, Di Grassi, Hamilton, etc. But TBH, I think he would be an average midfielder at best.

A shame no one gave him a shot which possibly means the problem is more than just money paying for a drive. By now he should be doing DTM/LMS/ALMS/IRL. I find it criminal why he isn't doing top class racing now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Could someone enlighten me why Carroll should be in F1? His resume is not particularly impressive.
    “Leave me alone!”

Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Could someone enlighten me why Carroll should be in F1? His resume is not particularly impressive.
    Similar to Mansell. In Junior Formulae he never quite had the car/team but could make good solid use of it. I particularly remember him in British F3 scholarship class he cleaned up the field (in class) and finished on the podium (or there abouts IIRC) on merit in year old machinery. He's a solid GP2 driver.

As I said. He's good enough for top level categories, not wasting himself in A1GP or Super League.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Similar to Mansell. In Junior Formulae he never quite had the car/team but could make good solid use of it. I particularly remember him in British F3 scholarship class he cleaned up the field (in class) and finished on the podium (or there abouts IIRC) on merit in year old machinery. He's a solid GP2 driver.

As I said. He's good enough for top level categories, not wasting himself in A1GP or Super League.
    Ok, but isn't that the usual story, not enough budget and so on. I think the ones with extraordinary talent will get through to F1 no matter what. IMO Carroll seems like Allan Mcnish, a good driver but perhaps there is that final little bit missing, that's just the impression I've got from gp2.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    I think I am already on the record on this subject elsewhere on the board but I will happily reiterate the fact I would LOVE to see Adam Carroll in F1. Its not that he's merely blindingly fast, he's also a true racer, a charger, a driver superb at fighting his way through a field and he also has a tendency to slide the car, so all in all I would say he's a modern day cross between Ronnie Peterson and Nigel Mansell, which is hardly a criticism! With the number of so-so drivers coming through to F1 in recent times (Alguersuari and Grosjean spring instantly to mind) it is a crime that Adam has been overlooked when it comes to F1 drives. I feel that he could capture the public imagination in the same way as Nigel Mansell did and in a way that both Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button have so far failed to do to the same degree.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    IMO Carroll seems like Allan Mcnish, a good driver but perhaps there is that final little bit missing, that's just the impression I've got from gp2.
    Adam Carroll was never given a fair crack of the whip in GP2, he carried cars from teams that were uncompetitive to places they simply didn't belong. Unlike certain other drivers that were given plenty of opportunities to deliver in grade A equipment and just squandered it. Allan McNish he certainly isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    Adam Carroll was never given a fair crack of the whip in GP2, he carried cars from teams that were uncompetitive to places they simply didn't belong. Unlike certain other drivers that were given plenty of opportunities to deliver in grade A equipment and just squandered it. Allan McNish he certainly isn't.
    IIRC he drove for Super Nova in his first year - which was regarded as a top team given their F3000 credentials and he drove for Fisi Motorsport.