Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1000cc, 4 strokes in motogp, its back!

GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Yea same here 2012 is a long way off and surely it cant take the teams that long to develop a new engine?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mr Ippolito said: “The main changes we have decided on are new rules for the MotoGP class. We will have four cylinder engines, 4-stroke of course, with a 1000cc maximum, and the bore of the cylinders will be 81mm. This base will give all the manufacturers the opportunity to start work. At the beginning of next year we will produce the new rules in a more complete format, but that is the basis; 2012 will be the year of a new era of MotoGP.”

ie.......no twin cylinder engines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson
    Mr Ippolito said: “The main changes we have decided on are new rules for the MotoGP class. We will have four cylinder engines, 4-stroke of course, with a 1000cc maximum, and the bore of the cylinders will be 81mm. This base will give all the manufacturers the opportunity to start work. At the beginning of next year we will produce the new rules in a more complete format, but that is the basis; 2012 will be the year of a new era of MotoGP.”

ie.......no twin cylinder engines.
    Ah, but Ezpeleta (Dorna CEO) said: “It was a very important meeting to decide the future of the MotoGP class. From 2012 the bikes will have an engine capacity of up to 1000cc, have UP TO FOUR cylinders and the maximum bore will be 81mm".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My concern is the likely effect that these regulations may have on what has long been accepted as a prototype series.

The decision to revert to 1000cc has obviously been popular .......However, I cannot see the logic in restricting either the number of cylinders or bore diameter.

The maximum bore size of 81mm rules out twins because by my calculations, a twin cylinder engine with that bore size would require a massive stroke of 97mm to achieve a capacity of 1000cc.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    On the face of it, it does seem a little restrictive on what is supposedly a prototype series. My hope is that they make these new bikes really fearsome beasts that have a bare minimum electronic aids, so only the really good riders can get near to the performance limits, and even then only at their considerable peril.

Yes, I know that it's easy for me to be blase' with other riders health and wellbeing, but a good many racers I know or have met over the years would really relish the challenge of taming the un-tamable. Plus, it would be awesome to watch

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    On the face of it, it does seem a little restrictive on what is supposedly a prototype series. My hope is that they make these new bikes really fearsome beasts that have a bare minimum electronic aids, so only the really good riders can get near to the performance limits, and even then only at their considerable peril.

Yes, I know that it's easy for me to be blase' with other riders health and wellbeing, but a good many racers I know or have met over the years would really relish the challenge of taming the un-tamable. Plus, it would be awesome to watch
    I agree that only the best riders should be able to tame these 'beasts'. Get rid of all the electronic gizmos.
    I struggle to see the sense in having 2 1000cc series, and 2 600cc series. Madness!! MotoGP should leave Production racing to WSBK/WSS - and concentrate on Prototypes!! I really don't like the way DORNA/FIM are taking the sport - almost apeing F1 at every turn.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???