Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nzrc 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nzrc 2010

I could have sworn earlier in the year that the portfolio for next was due out about now?
    After the debacle that was this years effort, one would like to think the powers that be could have it 'tweaked' by now. But then again, with the Taxi racing starting this weekend, no doubt the big wigs will be present for that - all claiming what a roaring success it is....

Back to the NZRC though...the whisper that ALL crews are now required to use HANS devices seems a bit rough. I'm not denying the safety aspect of them (although I personally don't think the HANS is the best for Rallying), but if the rule is taken to the 'enth degree, it surely means new seats, belts, helmets and Hans devices for each car. What's the dollar value on that? $10k?
    Even if you can get away with your existing seats and belts, new helmets and Hans is still $6k per car.
    For people like the Camerons that won the Classic class this year, that's probably half their budget for the whole year!

Looking form the other side (MSNZ's side), are they actually liable if someone involved in an accident suffers serious damage to themselves?
    This would then perhaps go someway to explaining the nanny state they are imposing on the competitors.
    If not, then why are they hell bent on making it harder and more expensive to get into their 'elite' series?

Where are the young fella's these days, the likes of James Holder? Gone, presumably for one reason - it's not possible to do it on wages anymore. (it's obviously possible to do it by racking bills up everywhere and not paying them though).

Perhaps a control tyre will go someway to reduce costs. It looks like they are going to run Kumhos in the Aussie championship next year. Interesting choice considering the other brands available on the market. Our first choice would no doubt be Dunlops, but one would like to think that if a control tyre was floated, it would go to tender, and the result would be a decision based on cost, availability & durability.
    At the moment a Dunlop is just over $300 a corner, so for a two day rally (some of which should really be a one day rally, but don't get me started on that), if the big boys put a set on at every service, they would probably get through 4 to 6 sets for the weekend. $4800 - $7200. Ridiculous money.

At the start of each season it is always a surprise to see the entry numbers supposedly grow (according to Crunch, every year is the best shape the championship has ever been in), but in fact from 2004 the registered entries have fallen every year in the top class.

Looking forward to the portfolio, and the entries rolling in....

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Stalks, the 2010 NZRC portfolio was signed off by the Executive 2 weeks and it is all ready to go out pending clarification from the FIA about who can, or cannot, be an entrant in RNZ next year. Expected to be resolved within the week.
    Additionally, as recently as yesterday, the FIA altered the APRC calendar moving Indonesia to the date scheduled for NZRC final round, Rally Wairarapa, necessitating this conflict be looked into with a view to moving that event.
    I only learnt of that at 8pm last night so we're onto that now.
    Another fly in the ointment due to this late change is the placement of the regional PSD final which has been attended by a number of Kiwi's. But we're told we won't have that information until February so we have to move forward making assumptions on that.
    Expect the portfolio out within the next 2 weeks.

Your other matters are very valid. One, in particular, I am quite hot on.

I'm not sure how many Kiwi's follow this forum anymore. You might have been better posting it on onlinemotorsport if you want to invoke discussion.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Bruce. Is the 2 weeks up yet for the portfolio? probably....

Be interesting to see if the WRC event is part of the championship in 2010 and beyond. If you have time to crawl your way through the possible updates for WRC rallies it might interest you to hear that the powers that be are apparently deciding whether or not to enforce a new rule for WRC events - a one make / style of helmet to be compulsory for all competitors.
    I kid you not here, and it is supposedly going to be the Stilo full face Carbon Fibre stack hat as seen adorning Mr Loebs head for the last wee while.
    Running out the door at a measley $1900 euro's it's a steal really. And while everyone will be asking how can they do that? The answer is simple, they already did it with the tyres, so why not helmets?

Wonder if Crunch can bolt a chin strap onto his already illegal helmet and paint it black....no one will notice surely....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stalks you have some valid points.
    I too have been watching about the new helmet regs with 'interest' for WRC. It's not one make, it's just that Stilo are the only ones that have a rally helmet that complies at present, and yes at a ridiculous price!
    Mal

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    Would be a shame for them to stipulate a full face helmet. As a codriver I use a Stilo but open face. Have tried to use a full face but it's quite awkward.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Yes, and yes. The 2 weeks is up (just) and I am aware of the FIA proposed helmet for WRC events.

The hold up in the portfolio will be due to me, and my committee, considering a number of alternate dates for Wairarapa. Each option has it's own fishooks and we are meeting on Monday to determine when this should/can run.
    There has also been some lobbying in respect of the safety gear issue and this cannot be resolved whilst some Executive people are offshore.
    As long as these matters can be decided in a timely fashion it's best to have this information accurate in the portfolio don't you think?

Rally NZ is a round of the 2010 NZRC presently. Should the helmet specification be enforced the discussion could get interesting.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nzrc 2010

Stalks, whoever you are.
    As I seem to be the target of your anger, I shall correct your assumptions
    1. My Stilo is not illegal it has another couple of years to run. You should not listen to gossip and maybe read the rules
    2. Portfolio has been held up as Bruce as explained. Although I did see the final copies getting ready for posting in the MSNZ office on Wednesday. Try the website.
    3. New WRC helmet standards will not apply for Rally NZ in 2010
    4. HANs device is not compulsory except for Group N (same as last year) and Open class 4WD (most already have it) As for having to buy a new helmet for HANs, again...read the rulebook.
    5. Numbers have not decreased since 2004. Guessing THis year will probably see the same as last. Can provide the stats if you ring me.
    6, If you are a competitor with genuine concerns contact me and I will try to fix them. (06) 3564058 or 021 2503055. If you just want to continue taking anon potshots, then at least be sure of your facts
    Cheers
    Raymond Bennett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Control tyre

About 5 years ago, MSNZ was looking at introducing a control tyre that had gone to tender, but it recieved a resounding thumbs down from registered NZRC competitors at the time.
    To try to reintroduce would only be worthwhile if it can with a significant sponsorship income AND a $$$ benefit to the competitor.
    MSNZ will continue to try to control the numbers of tyres used.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry Stalks, just re-read my first message and it's not intended to sound as agressive as it reads.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Crunch. Thanks for your always informative replies.
    As the original post was some three months ago now, most of the questions raised have been sorted and released....but good of you to jump in all guns blazing. Would have expected nothing less.

Re the Hans & helmet rules, I have read them several times and keep finding the same result. Even if you Google it you will find it is now not FIA compliant to retro fit Hans posts to your existing helmet at home with a cordless drill. The Helmet must be returned to the manufacturer or a local authorised dealer to be done. This is even if the helmet was purchased with the holes pre-drilled from the factory, but the posts were not fitted.
    If you find a ruling to the contrary please post the link.

Would love to see your stats on entry numbers since '04.

I know the control tyre idea was floated 5 years ago. Why would it have to come with significant sponsorship income? Couldn't it just be cheaper tyres for everyone?
    Were the competitors actually canvassed at that time? Were they told of the manufacturer who was most interested?
    If it didn't work 5 years ago, does that mean it can't work now?

In the last 2 years there have been some decisions made by the powers that be regarding classes, and some classes have been canned at the end of it. At the time apparently 'all the competitors were canvassed and this is what they wanted'.
    Turned out the leading drivers in the class's concerned hadn't even been spoken to. Just because someone tells you they have all been asked doesn't actually mean they have Crunch. Ask the competitors yourself.

Anyway, looks like a good season, I believe entries will be up this year in Group N, lets hope the Fiesta's can find some more entries, and the Classics too. Maybe I'll even come back one day.....