Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moto2 buildup and speculation

Well folks, as we prepare for the final round of the season it'll also be the last ever (for now) 250cc Grand Prix. Kind of sad but we also have a lot to look forward too, with Moto2 set to launch for 2010.

We also have the official announcement of the teams list here:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/moto2+announcement

and things are set to start being confirmed over the coming weekend in fact.

In the time-honoured style, how about a few rumours? At present we know exceedingly little about which teams are using which chassis (indeed, which chassis are available!) and which riders might be aboard. But here's the list with some mostly-speculation-and-a-couple-of-rumours-or-informed-guessing-by-me included. At times like this we could do with Matt showing up again, he might know something!

-----

(text from MotoGP site)

The Selection Committee comprising delegates of the FIM, Dorna and IRTA met on the 2nd October in Estoril to select the teams which will be invited to participate in 2010.

"Teams comprising a total of 39 riders were accepted. Teams comprising a total of 10 riders were placed on a reserve list. A detailed list is reproduced below.

Accepted teams now have until the 2nd of November to finally confirm the names of their riders and to lodge a security deposit with IRTA. Should any of the accepted teams propose riders not acceptable to the Committee, or if the security deposit is not paid, then consideration will be given to the teams on the reserve list.

It should be noted that no team applied to participate with 250cc class machines meaning that the entire 2010 grid will be comprised of Moto2 class machines."

Accepted Teams and number of entries accepted (reserve entries in brackets):

AJO MOTORSPORT (FTR chassis?): 1 (1) - Cortese?
    BALATON RACING TEAM 250: 1 - Nemeth/Talmasci/Angel Rodriguez?
    CAMPETELLA RACING: 1
    CARDION AB MOTORACING: 1 - Abraham
    CIP MOTO - GP250: 1 (1) - Tomizawa/Debise
    EMMI - CAFFE LATTE: 1 - Luthi/Pasini/Pesek
    G22 RACING TEAM (FTR): 2
    HAYATE RACING TEAM: 2
    HONDA GRESINI (MORIWAKI?): 2 - Elias?/de Angelis?
    JIR: 2 - Ayrton Badovini?
    KINO RACING: 1 (1)
    MAPFRE ASPAR TEAM: 2 - Julian Simon & di Meglio
    MATTEONI RACING: 1 (1) - Cluzel?
    PONS RACING PEPE WORLD (KALEX): 2
    PRAMAC RACING: 2 - Canepa?
    RACING TEAM BY QUERESENO: 2 - Debon & Daniel Rivas (current Blusens-sponsored team)
    RACING TEAM GERMANY (FTR?): 1 (1) - S. Aoyama
    SCOT RACING TEAM 250 (MORIWAKI?): 2 - Talmacsi & de Rosa
    SPEEDUP APRILIA: 2 - Talmacsi & Locatelli (ex-Gilera team run by Luca Boscoscuro, I think it's this one?)
    SPRINT TECNOLOGY RACING: 2
    STOP AND GO RACING TEAM S.L.(FTR?): 2 - Wilairot & Faubel
    TEAM ROBERTS: 2
    TECH 3 (TECH3?): 2 - de Angelis/Canepa/Takahashi/de Rosa/Cluzel (interview with Herve linked at motomatters.com)
    VIESSMANN KIEFER RACING: 1 (1) - Stefan Bradl
    WTR SAN MARINO TEAM: 1 - Alex Baldolini

SUB TOTAL: 39 (6)

Reserve Teams:
    MZ: 2
    PROMORACING: 2 - Olive (team backed by Antonio Banderas!)
    SUB TOTAL: 4

----

As you can see, we're still very much in the dark!
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    looks a very woollly concept to me...here's hoping that It doesn't be the failure that the Formula 2 series is ...the relaunched one
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Talmacsi linked with three teams!

And also, wasn't the Blusens team also there? Why don't I see them in the list?

Anyway, this new series in a way is an interesting scenario, because for now we don't know which teams would be competitive, and so at this moment we don't have any idea who will be the first Moto2 champion next year. I just dearly hope that some team hasn't jumped the gun in development, and are already miles ahead, otherwise we will be in for a borefest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    looks a very woollly concept to me...here's hoping that It doesn't be the failure that the Formula 2 series is ...the relaunched one
    That is not a very valid comparison, IMO. Moto2 will have the same or better participants than the series it replaces, and keep the place in the weekends, be a part of tv broadcasts and will be watched by MotoGP teams. All good things.

The new so-called Formula 2 only has those kind of improvements if you consider it a new step above Formula Palmer Audi. And that is what it is.

The series to compare Moto2 to is GP2, when it replaced F3000 as the main support for F1. That was nothing but successful. Let's hope that is how this will go as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The inception of Moto2 is nothing if not exciting! For me anyway While I value the history and competitiveness of 250GP, I've just never been a two stroke fan for some unfathomable reason...

I'm still not happy about the sole engine arrangement - because of how it excludes all of the other manufacturers from competing - but the introduction of bespoke chassis manufacturers is fantastic, and just might lead to a few new teams in MotoGP over the next few years.

As for who or which teams will be strong - hard to go past Tech3 given their proven abilities in running four stroke racing bikes.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As ever, looks like Kropotkin has the latest:

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009...up_so_far.html

My initial predictions above might as well have been written on some form of cracker...
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Italtrans
    1° Roberto Rolfo
    2° Robertino Pietri

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    About some spanish' riders:
    - Alex Debon will ride for Ajo Motorsport
    - Fonsi Nieto with G22 (his brother's team) and Yannik Guerra will be his probably partner.
    - Axel Pons will ride with his father's team
    - Joan Olive and Keny Noyes will ride for Promoracing/Banderas
    - Ángel Rodriguez probably won't ride during the next two years, he failed an antidopping control this year at the second race of the CEV (the sustance consumed was cocaine)
    El tiempo? El tiempo es un chivato cabrón que nos pone en nuestro sitio.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    more moto2 machines in action during this weekends CEV finale at Valencia.

poorly translated from an article on bikeracing.it:-

"Define "Boom" is perhaps an exaggeration, but certainly see as many as 9 units of Moto2 at the start of the last test in Valencia CEV Extreme is good news. After the 7 presence of Jerez, in Cheste, there will be significant new entry, or with rookie Anthony West MZ, historical brand of motorcycle racing back "alive" from the investments Ralf Waldmann and Martin Wimmer.

In addition to the MZ will keep the winner of the last two races, Javier Fores (pictured) with Laglisse YM2, as the pair team Blusens, Daniel Rivas and Shuhei Aoyama.

Two drivers for the AJR, Daniel Arcas again joined by Pablo Garcia Barrio, also confirmed the participation of the FTR Joe Darcey with Graeme Gowland and Harris-Promoracing with Joan Olive.

As for our colors, Roberto Rolfo back in action. After the experience of Valencia with the team Laglisse now be on track with the rookie team Italtrans MMX Suter Racing team which will face the World Cup 2010."

cheers.
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!