Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

GP2 2010 line-ups

After the first post-season tests at Jerez (6-8 October), let's start speculating. :

Here are the results of each day:
    http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/test-results/?testID=1176
    http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/test-results/?testID=1177
    http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/test-results/?testID=1178

All in all I would say that among drivers with GP2 experience van der Garde and d'Ambrosio have probably chances of getting a top team drive in 2010, but several potential rivals (Parente, Perez) weren't present, so it remains to be seen, how will that pan out.

Potential rookies: Besides Bianchi also IFM champion Leimer and fresh Japanese F3 champion Ericsson impressed and I'm hoping to see both of them in GP2 next year. Rossi showed quite well too considering his youth and inexperience - but he may also opt for GP3 next year if the jump to GP2 might be "too much". And if Bianchi's drive at ART seems almost certain, then Turvey could likely get iSport drive. Vietoris has a decent shot at a GP2 seat as well, I reckon. I wonder, what is WSR champion Baguette planning to do?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well... VD Garde drove one day and was the fastest of the week, d'Ambrosio will be third year so he is gonna be a 'Pantano' champion if he wins. Besides, he is not nearly as good as some others. VD Garde will probably go to Addax, and will be a definite contender. Why no Perez and Parente at the test? That is weird. Maybe we will see them at the Gp2 Asia tests.
    I would like to say to Bruno Senna: hahahahaha you arrogant idiot. He was on autosport.com saying iSport wanted to know if it was the car or the drivers which caused the bad year, and that Senna was gonna prove it was the drivers. He finished 14th on the day, behind Oliver Turvey in the same car . And the 'bad drivers', including Vd Garde, had a very good week. Vd Garde was fastest.... Senna needs to learn to be less arrogant, and be more talented.

Vd Garde for title next year, might fight with Perez, d'Ambrosio, and rookies like Bianchi, Ericsson, and perhaps Bird, vd Drift and Leimer... Who knows. ART should look at a good driver for next to Bianchi, perhaps vd Garde or another experienced driver.... We will see. Interesting though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like to see 2009 Atlantic champ John Edwards getting a seat.

Red Bull made a mistake after getting yanked from their program.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A lot will depend on who the new F1 teams (of those that make it - hopefully they all will) take for their first season, they'll most likely go for some of the top GP2 guys from 2009 - Petrov, di Grassi and maybe Perez [plus Bruno Senna] would be the most likely ones in addition to The Hulk who will surely be in a Williams next season.

Everything will fall into place from there I think - which is why the teams have been testing a lot of rookies at Jerez and leaving a few experienced guys on the sidelines.

Of fractionally personal interest is that Will Bratt has been getting some seat time - he tested this time last year too for DPR and was amazingly quick (2nd in a full field at Paul Ricard, I think). He's also a past graduate of my former university karting team which I set up! (although, it has to be pointed out that he was a professional racing driver before that - he was in Spanish F3 last year, and Italian F3000 this term to allow him to complete his uni studies as it has a smallish schedule). Even so, quite interesting!
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

By the way, one of the key figures at the market might be Grosjean. If the rumours are true and he is going to be dropped from Renault, where would he go? Back to GP2 for another season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Will Bratt has secured a Coloni seat in Asia after winning the Euro3000 series yesterday against much more experienced opposition. Seems Coloni have a good set up after the Jerez test so will be interestingf to see if he can do enough in Asia to get a main series ride.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seppefan
    Will Bratt has secured a Coloni seat in Asia after winning the Euro3000 series yesterday against much more experienced opposition. Seems Coloni have a good set up after the Jerez test so will be interestingf to see if he can do enough in Asia to get a main series ride.
    Wasn't that his prize for wining the Euro F3000 championship? Still though its a great chance to impress for a seat in the main series

CONFIRMED SO FAR FOR GP2 ASIA

DAMS: 1. Edoardo Piscopo, 2. Christian Vietoris
    PIQUET: 3. Vladimir Arabadzhiev, 4. Dan Zampiere
    BARWA ADDAX: 5. Max Chilton, 6. Luiz Razia
    ART: 7. Sam Bird, 8. Jules Bianchi/Marcus Ericsson
    DURANGO: 9. ???, 10. ???
    ARDEN: 11. ???, 12. ???
    SUPER NOVA: 14. James Jakes, 15. Josef Kral
    iSPORT: 16. Ollie Turvey, 17. Davide Valsecchi
    TRIDENT: 18. Plamen Kralev, 19. Johnny Cecotto Jr
    MERITUS: 20. ???, 21. ???
    OCEAN: 22. Fabio Leimer, 23. Alex Rossi
    COLONI: 24. Will Bratt, 25. Roldan Rodriguez
    DPR: 26. Michael Herck, 27. ???
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    Wasn't that his prize for wining the Euro F3000 championship? Still though its a great chance to impress for a seat in the main series

CONFIRMED SO FAR FOR GP2 ASIA

DAMS: 1. Edoardo Piscopo, 2. Christian Vietoris
    PIQUET: 3. Vladimir Arabadzhiev, 4. Dan Zampiere
    BARWA ADDAX: 5. Max Chilton, 6. Luiz Razia
    ART: 7. Sam Bird, 8. Jules Bianchi/Marcus Ericsson
    DURANGO: 9. ???, 10. ???
    ARDEN: 11. ???, 12. ???
    SUPER NOVA: 14. James Jakes, 15. Josef Kral
    iSPORT: 16. Ollie Turvey, 17. Davide Valsecchi
    TRIDENT: 18. Plamen Kralev, 19. Johnny Cecotto Jr
    MERITUS: 20. ???, 21. ???
    OCEAN: 22. Fabio Leimer, 23. Alex Rossi
    COLONI: 24. Will Bratt, 25. Roldan Rodriguez
    DPR: 26. Michael Herck, 27. ???
    It is a good thing I am not the only 1 who know Rossi is in GP2 Asia!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Should be good qhoever half of these drivers are. It's a shame that there's only 4 rounds this year though, it leaves a huge motorsportless gap for several months in the winter.

I think we've probably seen the last of Durango too, they didn't end the main season and have hardly tested since.

The main excitement about GP2 Asia is to see, how will various potentially quite talented rookies perform. Filippi could be a strong contender for overall GP2 Asia win though with his vast experience.

Latest information from GP2 insider.