Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD
    General idea is good in eg. the Pirelli program, but...

a) they put the drivers this year as testdrivers for new Evo10's that haven't worked at all.

b) The program is for 1 year only. They should have had a system to take 1 or two best of them after the 1st year and takem them further in the next...
    Agreed, you should have the opportunity for the best guy to proceed into higher level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    havn't really followed the PSD this year, but have any of the drivers actually finished all the rounds so far??

no doubt there is talent in the field, but how can they shine when it's advisable to nurse the car from SS1!!
    despite all my rage i\'m still just a rat in a (roll) cage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    I think it's a good idea in general too give them cars. That way they can make a step up, learn a new, better car and not have to worry too much about going bankrupt in a crash.
    The problems in the Pirelli Star contest seem to come mostly from the poor preperation by ralliart.
    Most of the drivers have cars they drive in national series with, thats the reason i think sponsor money would be better.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    With the current way,imho they waste money.
    Money that are difficult to find these days,is a big pitty to spent at unreliable co operators.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    here how it works

They gather a bunch of nobodies with deep pockets and connections to the pirelli team and local organisations...they give them a crap car to have fun with and voila......100% success
    Let me assure you, Mark Tapper & Jeff Judd are not nobodies with deep pockets, they are both true bones of their arse racers. Neither have connections with Pirelli, in fact, outside of the WRC showtime we hardly see any of their product in NZ

Next season NZ will be represtented by Hayden Paddon & John Kennard, they too are not nobodies for again they are dedicated racers who, like Tapper & Judd commit their total being to their sport.

In Europe rallying might be viewed by some as a rich kids sport but it is certainly no so down under. It may well be the level of personal sacrifice that they and those associated around them make that actually makes them the competitor that they are and why they are so determined to succeed.

NZ Motorsport does run an Elite Acadamy where a very small number of young drivers from both race and rally are chosen to attend. To view go to http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Scholar...iteacademy.htm

When you look at the list of graduates you will notice that some pretty good kids have been through there
    “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo
    In Europe rallying might be viewed by some as a rich kids sport but it is certainly no so down under.
    Thats very seldom true, of our drivers not a single one can be seen as a rich kid, Latvala's has quite much money, but not enough to drive several years as privateer in WRC, but most understand that if they plan a carreer, they need sponsors from early stages already.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    maybe nobodies is a bit harsh....

wannabies with no future suits them better.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    maybe nobodies is a bit harsh....

wannabies with no future suits them better.
    Think you are more on the case this time around.

I believe that all PSD drivers have a future but the path that eventuated for them this year was not the pathway that we all thought that it was going to be. Their prize is the chance to drive a PSD car in selected WRC events for one year with no other rewards such as being the most successful PSD competitor and gaining a test drive or something similar in a WRC car.

The concept of the PSD, if it had a reward at the end of it, and if they were provided with machinery that gave them a sporting chance is a very good one and I would hope that the administrators of the series have learnt from this year and instigate a number of improvements for next season and that we do get to see a wanabee to rise above the crowd and succeed in their chosen sport
    “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsport) have got the "Star Driver" idea right. Drivers under a certain age (can't remember what it is now) nominate for the CAMS Rising Star Scholarship, they can be from any facet of motorsport Rally, Circuit, whatever & CAMS together with their sponsors put money behind the drtivers that get chosen. The get chosen via a series of tests through the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) & observations at events they enter to see whether they have the talent. It's through this program that Molly Taylor was able to do the Suzuki Cup in Britain, & people like young Daniel Ricciardo (who looks like he'll get an F1 test) get to go overseas & get to perform infront of team manager's.

I think the FIA need to do a simular thing. If we are ever going to find the next Loeb or Schumacher we need to look wholistically not on on facet on motorsport.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    Latvala's has quite much money ...
    I've heard this more than once, but I've never seen any facts. Okey - his dad has some business, but I guess selling harvesters isn't exactly a gold mine even if you succeed. At least his name doesn't show up in annual top tax payer listings, which would relate to the fact that he really isn't that rich daddy, at least if "rich" is measured in a scale more used in WRC.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC