Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Her safety checklist???

This article is even more worrying: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...5-3102,00.html

In particular: Brisbane round-the-world sailor Mark Carlile, who sailed solo from Britain to Brisbane in 2006-07, said yesterday the hand-written checklist revealed Jessica was too inexperienced to do the trip.

He had been sailing more than 25 years and logged 35,000kms at sea before setting off across the world and spent two years planning and writing up his trip.

He described being petrified by the 10m waves, and that Jessica would encounter 15m waves on her particular route.

"She does not know what she is letting herself in for – it is really dangerous," Mr Carlile said. "I have tried to get in contact with her to warn her about the dangers, but there has been no response."

I have competed in a dinghy in 5 metre waves, and I can tell you it was terrifying. A 15 metre wave is the height of a 4 story building, and such conditions occur in gale force winds.

I think her parents will rue the day they did not heed all the warnings from people who know. I just cannot imagine what motivates then to encourage her to do this.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    seriously,the parents need to be given a strong talking to...I mean she's a minor for crying out loud..
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Jessica Watson intends to sail solo around the world. This despite a serious collision on her way from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney where she will start her Solo Journey. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...mpact+news_rss

I consider her parents to be extremely irresponsible, as the girl obviously doesn't have sufficient yachting experience for such a challenge. I just cannot imagine her trying to sail round Cape Horn - I don't think she fully realises the treacherous conditions of such a trip.

Before you reply to this, please read the link first. Thanks.
    Well is sounds as though she can't even drive so I would not believe she can get around the world solo. But maybe if she has a good auto-pilot and really knows Nobeltec she will make it if storms don't come up.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let her go ahead and sail. The parents can collect the insurance and sell the movie rights. Nature will have a fair shot at eliminating this foolish life form before it can reproduce. Any details on the boat she is using?

If being dragged by a cargo ship didn't phase her, thoughts of 30 foot waves tossing her around while battened down below with her headphones on and internet connected probably won't bother her either.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Well, here's the latest link: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...mpact+news_rss

If you look at the left of the page, there are related stories.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Jessica is finally off on her odysey

The 17 year old (minus one day) girl is finally off on her sail around the world. There is an interesting clip in this link from Tony Bullymore : http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...dney-on-sunday
    who managed to survive during a similar attempt when his boat capsized and he had to live in freezing conditions in his upside down boat for severl days in freezing conditions.

It is interesting that while all the news focuses on whether she is courageous or foolish, there has never been anything about her sailing prowess or yachting experience to date.

Each time I have seen news clips of her under sail, (admittedly it may have been for photo shoots), she has not set her sails correctly - they have been flapping in the wind. Now, with all experienced sailors when they hoist a sail, they instinctively set the sail properly for the wind directions immediately. They never hoist a sail and let the sail flap if they are under way.

Jessica is going to experience wild conditions that she probably never even imagined when she gets to Cape Horn, let alone the storms at sea she is likely to encounter.

At this stage, my only wish is for her to have a safe trip, and to return safely to Oz.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope she's towing a PD Racer to bring her home when the big boat gives it up.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    I hope she's towing a PD Racer to bring her home when the big boat gives it up.
    Jokes aside, as a sailor myself, I can see the peril ahead and fully feel the concern for her survival. We can all joke/comment about how she might get concerned about the fact that she might hit something or feel being alone after 7 days sailing.

But can she manage sailing a yacht in strong winds without a rudder, merely by manipulating her sails? There are some very basic skills in controlling a yacht when things go wrong, and so far her sailing credentials have not been publicised.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know what you're saying. Judging by the video showing the boat's interior and the way she has stuff scattered around, I don't think she'll make it. She seems to be relying far too much on electronics as opposed to seamanship. Even if the electronics don't fail, rescue is not necessarily certain in a timely manner. With a few tools and a couple of nails, she could turn her PD Racer into a makeshift rudder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey valve, check out the PDs at the 2009 Texas 200, a sort of sailing free-for-all.