Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What brings people to the track is that it's to see the cars and drivers of the Indianapolis 500, first and doremost, IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    What brings people to the track is that it's to see the cars and drivers of the Indianapolis 500, first and doremost, IMO.

That is true at 16th and Georgetown and at one time was also true at other venues around the country, but sadly I think that day is done. At MidOhio and Kentucky Speedway, I think the fans come to see the cars and drivers, but the "of the Indianapolis 500" part is no longer on their mind past May 31. A lot of the luster that you and I grew up with is gone. Washed away by too many years of infighting. The same was true with the Daytona 500 and NASCAR. Folks no longer identify the series with the marquee event except as a point of reference. "Oh, you mean the kind of cars that run at the Indy 500?".

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gary, I sorta/kinda agree with some of your point. But the Indianapolis and Daytona 500s (mostly Indy) are known all over the world and have stood the test of time. The Masters has a lot of golf tournaments around it, but it's still the frosting on the cake. Same with the Kentucky Derby or the Iditarod or the Calgary Stampede or Wimbledon in lesser or different sports. CART and CC couldn't make it without Indy. We'll see if the IRL can.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IC... I agree.... competing and and winning the biggest events is what elevates competitors to become larger than life....

I will also add.... its time for a new track record at INDY.... while far from a cure all.. it would be a shot in the arm... and a platform (speed) to rebuild from...

time for a new car/chassis that will flirt with 237
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ken, I agree with you for the publicity and the progress in the Centennial Era and all that goes with it. Unfortunately, I don't think the safety people will let 'em go that fast. They started dialing 'em down in the early '70s when one year's slowest qualifier beat the previous year's pole speed. Since then, it builds up, then they slow 'em down and it's been that way for 35+ years. Luyendyk himself once said that 237 was too fast and de Ferran said the same thing about 240 at Fontana. Unfortunately, for the grand nature of the beast, I don't think it can happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    IC... I agree.... competing and and winning the biggest events is what elevates competitors to become larger than life....

I will also add.... its time for a new track record at INDY.... while far from a cure all.. it would be a shot in the arm... and a platform (speed) to rebuild from...

time for a new car/chassis that will flirt with 237
    Just need to measure the track FIA like CART,Champcar, did at all their sanctioned ovals (Not Indy)then you can have the record and be safe too, win win...

Arie would have been over 240 that way..

Of course the Indy 519.212 might not have the same ring.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BTW Ken, if you are jonesing for a new record pity the poor air speed record folks. newest record is 20 years old and average is 40.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hoop...

Are you suggesting that flirting with or actually breaking the track record at IMS would be insugnificant?.... Ignored by mainstream press and casual sports fans?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Hoop...

Are you suggesting that flirting with or actually breaking the track record at IMS would be insugnificant?.... Ignored by mainstream press and casual sports fans?
    yes I am. Think back to the impact of 1996 and get back to me.

Or tell me about the impact of track records for NASCAR, F1, Champcar, Daytona 500, Monaco etc...

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop-98
    yes I am. Think back to the impact of 1996 and get back to me.

Or tell me about the impact of track records for NASCAR, F1, Champcar, Daytona 500, Monaco etc...

rh
    1996 at Indy was rather irrelevant in the media except for the passing of Brayton. It was a pretty big deal at MIS and Fontana in those years. I agree that flirting with a new track record would bring back a lot of mainstream media but I also agree that that is too damn fast for current technology.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.