Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alms 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alms 2010

http://americanlemans.com/index_news.php?n=13593

must say, they are doing the best they can to survive and to keep car counts up, hopefully there will be a better road ahead
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The whole problem ALMS has is they are at the mercy of manufacturers and how important they view any races beyond LeMans. It is sad that Audi isn't contesting the whole series, and the Porsches came and are maybe back in privateer hands. Having Penske around was a plus.

Oh well, It is Sportscar racing and we'll enjoy it. Glad they finally gave up on GT1. That should have happened two years ago....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    question: is having both Grand-Am and ALMS hurting sports car racing overall in North America? I can't tell, and from my experience ALMS has a dedicated fan base, more-so than G-A. ALMS cars are more amazing in-person, and the better GT series now, yet something has to be said for the rivalries and on-track battling going on in DP. It seems as if ALMS might have a trump card in LMPC that should foster DP-Style battles while retaining true-blue LMP1 prototypes if successfully implemented. But, what'll happen as far as combining LMP1 and LMP2? Are there still two sets of technical regulations inside of the LMP class in 2010? Will the cars be 'equalized'?
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this is a sensible move by ALMS. I'm a big fan of sportscar racing but sadly the ALMS this year has just not interested me at all - 2 cars don't make a class to me.

I tend to have the same question as Shifter. Personally, I've found this year G-A has better racing, given the 'spec' nature and having just 2 classes. These cars look awesome on the Daytona roval, and personally I think they'd do well running as a support to NASCAR but on the road courses and rovals.

ALMS has possibly got better cars - I'm not completely fond of spec series in any form of racing, plus I always have the feeling that its taken a bit more seriously by Sports car drivers and fans.

Another question - what are the technical differences between the GT class that runs in G-A, and the GT3 that will run in ALMS? I'm glad GT1 has gone - but overall I still think GT classes need a serious re-vamp world wide, to maintain alignment (to encourage more participation by manufacturers, and more entries in series) and I don't have a clue what that answer is!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli_M
    I'm glad GT1 has gone - but overall I still think GT classes need a serious re-vamp world wide, to maintain alignment (to encourage more participation by manufacturers, and more entries in series) and I don't have a clue what that answer is!
    ACO will run FIA spec GT regs

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    ACO will run FIA spec GT regs
    Finally! How many years have they been talking about arriving at a common formula for GT?

Oh yeah, and what's this I've heard about a World Championship? Is this going to be a based on selected FIA, ALMS and LMS races?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Oli_M
    Personally, I've found this year G-A has better racing, given the 'spec' nature and having just 2 classes.
    What is your definition of 'spec'? I thought that there were several chasis manufacturers and several engine suppliers in Grand Am. Am I missing something?

Just curious, not combative?
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I do not understand why people need more manu in GT.

in GT2 there is Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Spyker, Panoz, and now Jaguar. thats a pretty damn good list

if anything we need teams to produce LMP's also
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    What is your definition of 'spec'? I thought that there were several chasis manufacturers and several engine suppliers in Grand Am. Am I missing something?

I just checked the Grand-Am website and there are 7 different engines and 5 different chasis currently being used in the Daytona Prototype class. Not sure how that is 'spec'.

http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/RolexMfgPoints10.pdf
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy

The chassis and bodywork has to be made to a strict set of templates and the cars are 'homolagated' for X years, so you have to use one of the 5 legal chassis. Yes its not a strict spec like (say) GP2 cars, but its certainly not as open as ALMS, if you can see what I mean?

I enjoy watching G-A racing because the cars are so equal, often you find in other series some cars are more suited to certain tracks etc.

Having said that, I only watch G-A for the DP class, to be honest I don't pay any attention to the GT class...... Where as with the Le Mans (European) series, I do watch the Gt classes too..... weird I know....