Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

When did Norway change it's mind?

Just out of curiosity (because it was mentioned on TV) a question to all the Norwegians out there: Why and from when to when was rallysport banned in Norway?

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppositelock
    Just out of curiosity (because it was mentioned on TV) a question to all the Norwegians out there: Why and from when to when was rallysport banned in Norway?
    Quote from wrc.com:

-Orthodox rally sport was banned in Norway from 1973 to 1987. One result of this was the great rallycross heritage enjoyed in the country. During the period of the ban, championship rallying took place abroad or on private land. In the 27 years since the start of the 1980s, there have only been nine different driver champions. Petter Solberg gained the title.

I recall hearing that reason behind ban was a fatal accident(s) but perhaps someone could confirm this?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    Quote from wrc.com:

-Orthodox rally sport was banned in Norway from 1973 to 1987. One result of this was the great rallycross heritage enjoyed in the country. During the period of the ban, championship rallying took place abroad or on private land. In the 27 years since the start of the 1980s, there have only been nine different driver champions. Petter Solberg gained the title.

I recall hearing that reason behind ban was a fatal accident(s) but perhaps someone could confirm this?
    This is not completely correct. "Rallystoppen" (the "ban) was not a formal ban, but a set of regulations making it very difficult to get a permission to organize rallies. The "ban" lasted from 1973 to 1985, but several rallies were run from 1979 onwards. The first was my debut rally, "Rally Snowplough" on saturday 17 of february 1979, a small sprint rally that was run in its entirety inside a military camp at Elverum. In fact the same road was used in Rally Norway exactly 28 years on the day later, as SS10 Terningmoen!

Fatal accidents had nothing to do with the "ban", but there was an accident involding a parked spectator car (no injuries) which brought negative attention to the sport from politicians and authorities. It was a televised stage and the television company made the organiser move the flying finish of the stage, so that braking distance became much to short. One car crossing the flying finish crashed into a Honda 600 parked close to the finish. The rally driver on that occasion was none other than Per Engseth, well known both as a rally and rallycross driver, who was responsible for creating the monster stage SS9/18 Elverum in Rally Norway. Engseth also drove the 0-car in Rally Norway.

To add a point to my story lesson. My own rally debut was as mentioned the "Rally Snowplough" on saturday the 17th of february 1979. My driver was Per Engseth (!) and we drove a Volvo 142 to second place overall.

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Takk

Thank you very much for the answers. Luckily the "rallystoppen" was stopped . . .