Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Who will Massa's replacement be?

I thought it would be best to start this thread now, as it's inevitably going to be discussed over the next few weeks.

Assuming Felipe will not be fit for the next race, who is likely to replace him, at least for that event?

I'm guessing it comes down to three candidates:

Marc Gene
    Luca Badoer
    Michael Schumacher

Are there any more in the frame?

Outside shots, if they are looking for a longer term (i.e. rest of season) replacement, maybe Tonio Liuzzi, a fellow Italian. There aren't many others who would be available and up to speed with an F1 car.

Any thoughts?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that this depends on the time that he's out for. For all we know he could be fit for the next race. Assuming he misses just one or two then I imagine it'd be Badoer; if it looks like it'll be longer then they might go for someone else, like they did with Salo. Schumacher would be their first choice but he'd probably say no. Past that I'm not too sure - any new drivers would face the same experience problems as that guy at Toro Rosso whose name I can't spell. I'm not sure that putting someone like Senna in the car at the moment would be helpful. Unless they can persuade someone further down the grid to leap up for a few races (who would do this? Would have to be someone almost out of a drive. Fisichella???) then Badoer is still probably the best option.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    At this point, Schumacher will only do it if the idea seems like fun to him. A loose, relaxed Michael Schumacher, out to have a good time, would be an interesting force to turn loose on the F1 grid for the end of the season.

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think Fisi WOULD do it, as he's always wanted to drive for Ferrari, but to be honest his best bet for now is to stay at Force India.

I know this sounds daft, but who's the most recent driver with F1 experience? Sebastien Bourdais...

Maybe they could engineer a deal with Renault to get Piquet if indeed Hungary will be his last race for the team.

Top be honest though, they should give one of the old guys a chance. Either Gene or Badoer would probably be a better bet than Nelsinho to be honest.

I'd love Luca to get another shot at F1. As far as I know, he hasn't scored a point yet in his career, so that would be a great opportunity to finally shake off the tag as 'one of the best F1 drivers never to have scored a point'.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    At this point, Schumacher will only do it if the idea seems like fun to him. A loose, relaxed Michael Schumacher, out to have a good time, would be an interesting force to turn loose on the F1 grid for the end of the season.

ClarkFan
    I say bring it on. Well, it would be good publicity for ferrari after a pretty crappy season, and I'm convinced Michael could still pull it out of the bag and grab a podium or two before the end of the season.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    I know this sounds daft, but who's the most recent driver with F1 experience? Sebastien Bourdais...
    Bourdais would be more likely as a replacement for Piquet at Renault if they decide Grosjean is a little too hard on carbon fiber.

Which is not to say it is likely Bourdais goes to Renault. Besides any issues from his STR stint, there were stories a few years ago that Bourdais had refused to be managed by Briatore after winning the F3000 championship. Flavio remembers those who refuse to put coins in his pocket...... :\

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I can't see Massa being able to drive again this year. Under the circumstances, I would not be surprised to see SchM back in F1.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    One question though - will the mechanics be able to get his car ready for the replacement driver??
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones
    One question though - will the mechanics be able to get his car ready for the replacement driver??
    I think it will be a tough decision to put another driver in the car for tomorrow, however it did not look that badly damaged. I suspect they may get it rebuilt, but the decision will rest on how he does overnight in the Hospital. Here's hoping that we actaully see one of their reserve drivers on track Tomorrow as a sign of a good night and positive signs in the hospital.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones
    Tomorrow or in 4 weeks?

I think it is unlikely we will see a second Ferrari on the grid tomorrow. Four weeks is plenty of time to get a car ready.

ClarkFan