Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WRC Transponder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Are splits really that important?
    Very much so. A lot of people here would have nothing to talk about if the splits were always working for every driver
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Very much so. A lot of people here would have nothing to talk about if the splits were always working for every driver
    What I have discovered here is that we are all addicted to splits time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When we competed in the Corona Rally Mexico, we had to pay a rental fee for the transponder. This was refunded on safe return of the unit(not an inexpensive bit of kit, I'm sure!).

There was a main box and two antennae. The small control box was placed on the rollbar within reach of the crew.

The button was pressed and held for a number of seconds and the LED changed to green, indicating it was transmitting a signal to the overhead plane.

I have no idea if it was tracking times(I doubt it on our slow little cars), but it certainly was operable in terms of a safety response. We were told that if we failed to press the button again while stopped on stage(for a flat, etc), within a certain elapsed time, an automatic emergency medical response would be triggered.

This actually happened on one of the stages when a Group N car failed to push the button while stopped(despite being ok). This shut the stage down, irritating some other competitors.

Cheers! John