Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    just a freak accident unfortunately - loose wheel, hitting a driver.

brings it home how dangerous motorsport can still be, and that no-one should ever be so complacent to believe otherwise.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77088
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Terrible news. It was a freak incident and I kind of knew he wasn't going to come out of this well.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    i cant believe that.

I was there at brands today, at paddock hill bend. It was a great days motor racing, but the news of henry's death is something i am totally shocked about.

At the time im not sure anyone round the main straight part was aware of the seriousness of the incident, i dont think anyone realised watching the tv screens that he was struck on the head.

Later on in the day there was an announcement that he was in intencive care, this is terrible news. everyone moaned aswell on lap 2 in the wtcc race 2 when the safety car was deployed so the air ambulance could take off. we didnt realise the link at the time. we know now.

It is a real shame. he was looking very promising today, i was impressed by his speed. RIP Henry. a death I will never forget, because I was there. I feel a little bit of guilt.

a series having a death in its first year is horrible, but it could of happened in any series.

having seen the replay over and over, im not surprised. The F2 race had some good racing, but it was a staggered troubled race today. maybe it was one of those days.

first death in a major series this side of the atlantic since well, ages.

RIP Henry. we will miss you, a true rising star.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    I didn't have a good feeling when I saw the incident live on Eurosport earlier today, and my worries grew as there weren't any updates on his condition for a long time.

R.I.P. Henry and my condolences to his friends and family!
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    It looked innocuous but it looked a very nasty smack in the face with that tyre, id imadgine he was travelling at least at 120mph when he hit the tyre. But to hear afterwards that he is dead as a result is a huge shock, and a cruel reminder that despite all the safety precautions and improvements, it is still a dangerous sport and death can still occur.

My deepest thoughts and condolences go out to John Surtees and his family who i imagine must be in pieces now
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Poor guy. Condolences to his family.

Talking about it as a "freak accident" though (and bearing in mind that I haven't seen the footage)... why was the wheel flying about TO hit him? In particular, are the wheel tethers underspecced?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebody

Talking about it as a "freak accident" though (and bearing in mind that I haven't seen the footage)... why was the wheel flying about TO hit him? In particular, are the wheel tethers underspecced?
    It's supposed to have passed the same safety checks that F1 cars do, but I can't say that I've seen wheels fly like that since the early 00s in F1. Surtees' wheels also flew off when he crashed.

This is really sad, the first death in F1 or any of its feeder series since I've followed it.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Terrible accident for someone way too young.

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody

F2 cars pass current F1 crash tests. Tethers and all.

If the same collision happened in F1, it would still have been fatal.

It was a freak accident any way you look at it.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    ! Ten years since the death of another rising tallent and now we loose Henry.

We still miss you Neil and RIP Henry Surtees.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    F2 cars pass current F1 crash tests. Tethers and all.

If the same collision happened in F1, it would still have been fatal.

It was a freak accident any way you look at it.
    Absolutely, the wheel tethers are tested just as thorougly as every other part of the car in the crash tests, but now and again, just like other parts of the car, the tethers can be prone to failure.

The accident yesterday was like you say a freak incident, the wheel could have gone anywhere, unfortunately for Henry he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)