Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Who is gone, never to come back?

Over the past few years, several drivers have competed in F1 on an on/off basis. Some ex-drivers are still in the circle of drivers with a chance of coming back to F1. Who, though, do you believe is gone for sure? And who do you expect to see racing in F1 again?

Just to get the ball rolling I'm talking about drivers like:

Takumo Sato: Although its been a while since he's raced in F1, I still think we'll see Taku again on the track. Especially if Toro Rosso have their interest in the Japanese market and Bourdais fails to improve this year.

Pedro De La Rosa: Wrong time for him to get back into F1. And probably too old now.

Alex Wurz: Honestly don't know.

Jacques Villeneave: Even though some reckon JV may return with some American F1 effort, I think his day is done.

Ricardo Zonta: Doesn't have much of a reputation to live up to for starters. I don't see why any team would want him.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Klien? Never impressed me

Liuzzi? Force India perhaps?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Scott Speed

Robert Doornbos
    May the forza be with you

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Eddie Irvine

Mika Hakkinen

JV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Eddie Irvine

Mika Hakkinen

JV
    Mika Hakkinen retired from the sport voluntarily, not because he didn't have a drive like the other two guys on your list.

In my opinion:

Antonio Pizzonia

Giorgio Pantano: Even though he won the GP2 series last year. Too bad, he couldn't get an F1 contract like Glock.

Christijan Albers

Narain Karthikeyan: From my country, but I don't think anybody is opening any doors for him in F1 now.

Tiago Monteiro

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Ralph Firman - remember him? He was in F1 for a season with Jordan in 2003 with their best days a long way way behind them, scored a point, then disappeared. Saw him briefly driving for Ireland in A1GP a couple of seasons back and little to nothing since.

Yuji Ide - Japanese Super Aguri driver, had his super license stripped from him after a violent shunt in the opening stages of the San Marino GP. I don't think we'll be seeing him again somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    Giorgio Pantano: Even though he won the GP2 series last year. Too bad, he couldn't get an F1 contract like Glock.
    I think there is a general perception that Pantano had already had his shot at F1 and blew it. Also if Senna with his massive marketability couldnt get an F1 deal for this season Pantano didnt have a hope in hell! Buemi got his shot at F1 thanks to his close ties with Red Bull, otherwise F1 is looking to positively repell up and coming drivers at the moment with the complete lack of testing and the changes of regulations meaning that teams are favouring experience over potential, a great example was Brawn, rather than take on a very promising talent in the form of Senna they stayed with Barrichello who has proven to be significantly slower than Button so far this season.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Mika Hakkinen retired from the sport voluntarily, not because he didn't have a drive like the other two guys on your list.
    Yes, but there have always been rumours of his comeback.

Narain Karthikeyan: From my country, but I don't think anybody is opening any doors for him in F1 now.
    I always expected him in Force India to be honest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, but there have always been rumours of his comeback.
    Then you should add Michael Schumacher to the list as well, since there have been rumors of his comeback too. I think he is gone for sure, and at his age, I don't see him returning.

I always expected him in Force India to be honest.
    Mallya and Karthikeyan had quite a vocal disagreement in public some time ago I think, which means that neither party are interested in a collaboration. Karun Chandok right now has the highest probability of an Indian driver making it to F1 via Force India, if he doesn't go to STR that is.