Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision 2009

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    What's this century's style, then? Slutty girls singing about partying? :
    Nah! It's more about a strong voice making you feel some emotions even if you don't understand the lyrics. Something like the song that won in 2007 ( Serbia - Molitva ).

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Nothing to do with politics. UK managed to get points because for the first time in years they presented a singer who can sing. If the song itself hadn't been so boring ( a perfect match for a Disney film presented on the night of Oscars ) you would have had serious chances to win.
    I'm sorry but that is an absolute load of rubbish. The Eastern Bloc countries used to vote for each other no matter what. With the change in voting system I think the results were a lot more indicative of reality.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I'm sorry but that is an absolute load of rubbish. The Eastern Bloc countries used to vote for each other no matter what. With the change in voting system I think the results were a lot more indicative of reality.
    Give me a break. Some things never change. The national juries couldn't stop all ex-yugoslavian countries to vote for Bosnia. Moldova and Romania exchanged 12 points between them despite their average songs. Cyprus voted for Greece, etc. It's a fact that some " little churches " functioned in the past ( even before the eastern block was allowed in competition ) and they are still alive.
    The idea is that a good song may get points from every country and a bad one has no chance.
    How else can you explain that last year many countries from the east couldn't get to the final despite the "support" of the neighbours?

More than that, UK and France did quite well because sent good voices, Germany and Spain did very bad because mantained their usual way to treat the competition.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Give me a break. Some things never change. The national juries couldn't stop all ex-yugoslavian countries to vote for Bosnia. Moldova and Romania exchanged 12 points between them despite their average songs. Cyprus voted for Greece, etc. It's a fact that some " little churches " functioned in the past ( even before the eastern block was allowed in competition ) and they are still alive.
    The idea is that a good song may get points from every country and a bad one has no chance.
    How else can you explain that last year many countries from the east couldn't get to the final despite the "support" of the neighbours?

More than that, UK and France did quite well because sent good voices, Germany and Spain did very bad because mantained their usual way to treat the competition.
    But it's clear and obvious this year that national rivalries and alliances were less of a factor in the voting.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Believe what you want. From my point of view the votes went as usual. The only thing that I can't get every year ( with a few exceptions, of course ) is the criteria that makes a song to be voted by most of the countries.

Now let's see which countries won 12 points ( with a jury contribution of 50% ) :
    Norway - 16 times
    Turkey - 6 times
    Iceland - 3 times
    Bosnia & Herzegovina - 3 times
    Greece - 3 times
    Estonia - twice
    Moldova - twice
    Armenia - once
    Spain - once
    United Kingdom - once
    Croatia - once
    Azerbaijan - once
    Romania - once
    Russia - once

Since the jury had an important word I have doubts about the juries "competence".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    But it's clear and obvious this year that national rivalries and alliances were less of a factor in the voting.
    I definitely agree with that, although alot of the time it seemed as if nothing had changed

I'm glad the Norwegian song won and I really like the Estonian song too, strangely

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    and I really like the Estonian song too, strangely
    You are wise beyond your years! :

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    You are wise beyond your years! :
    Yes, senile and demented.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Yes, senile and demented.
    Quiet, you! You and your like gave us 12 points. No escaping that, now! :

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Looking back at my score sheet in the cold light of day and it's apparent how my handwriting deteriorates during the evening, almost as if it was directly linked to alcohol consumption.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u