Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else miss crap teams? ;)

Something about the likes of Osella, AGS,Coloni and so on that i miss!

ok so they were crap but i miss the Leaders cutting thru the backmarkers lap after lap (they dont do it so much now as the cars are much closer to the pace).

I thought it was a real skill especially when 2 or 3 backmarkers were squabbling amongst themselves and many an overtake or spin occured due to the actions of these guys.

Also i cant wait for 26 cars again! the track is too empty with 20!

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    The less comedy we have in F1, the better.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    To some extent, but some of the efforts were really embarrassing, so I don't miss them too much, even though I am no great fan of F1 having become so relentlessly 'professional'.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    The less comedy we have in F1, the better.
    Agreed. I just don't get the nostalgic fondness for crap teams with crap drivers.

But if you want comedy motorsport there's always A1GP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some of the backmarker or "crap" teams I miss (Minardi, Simtek) while others I don't really care about (Andrea Moda, Lola).

However, what I really miss are the midpack teams that sometimes ended up in the points (Arrows, Larrouse, Fondmetal, Tyrrell and Lotus in their later years, Scuderia Italia, Prost, Leyton House). It was always fun cheering them on knowing that they could qualify in the back row one week and qualify in the top 10 the next. Add a little rain and you never know what could happen. Heck, they might even surprise everyone and put a driver on the podium. These teams added a little "spice" to the show without the comedy.

Plus it was always fun to look forward to their new car launches every Winter, since many of these teams weren't afraid to go out on a limb with some trick design. Unfortunately, they then lacked the budget to continue developing a their designs as the season progressed.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I was always a supporter of the underdog teams and loved to see them doing well. Its not so much 'crap' teams I miss, but an array of privateers. Manufacturer involvement has diluted the sport, in my opinion, and taken away that 'spice' (as ykiki nicely put it) from the results sheets. Many people won't understand this viewpoint so I'm not going to argue it across. But I do wish that more private teams would try their hand at F1. I guess the lack of that interest in F1 now for the privateers is testimony to its current lack of appeal, high cost and waste of investment.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    I miss Minardi. used to love the way they entered F1 year in and year out on a shoestring budget. They were slow as sh!t on a frosty morning, but they had balls and character.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    There's a world of difference between the near-the-back-of-the-grid underdogs - your Minardis and Force Indias - and plain embarrassing efforts like Lola.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some teams may have been embarrassing from time-to-time, but at least they didn't carry the pungeant odour of the divide & conquer corporate world so much.
    In a way I hope the manufacturers do leave, as relying on modest race teams will pull back the opulance/waste a little & let the sports true friends re-gain control. Hopefully.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    NO, just crappy drivers like Sato.....Danica P.,.....and Button......oppos he is no longer crappy....
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: