Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Problem with my passenger electric window... can anyone help

Hi All,

I'm after some advice about my car. Its a Mk3 Golf Cabrio.

For obvious reasons, the windows have no frame. When the passenger door is open and the window is closed (its electric), it extends about 4 inches further than it should do... posing an obvious problem when shutting the door!!!

Anyone know what causes this, or what needs to be done to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Luke
    "You can't drink a pint of Bovril!" :beer:

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The car probably looks like a LHD version of this:

My initial theory is that one of the regulator clips at the end of the plastic teeth rack as has probably snapped because it's got old and brittle.

You'll most likely need to remove the door trim and that horrid Dynamat stuff to actually look at it, but in these sorts of things, it's either got to be the cradle being out of alignment, the plastic teeth rack itself or possibly some sort of spring arrangement. Whatever it is, I can say with 100% certainty that you'll need a screwdriver to undo that trim (and quite possibly a No.6 hex if it's a VW)
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    The car probably looks like a LHD version of this:

My initial theory is that one of the regulator clips at the end of the plastic teeth rack as has probably snapped because it's got old and brittle.

You'll most likely need to remove the door trim and that horrid Dynamat stuff to actually look at it, but in these sorts of things, it's either got to be the cradle being out of alignment, the plastic teeth rack itself or possibly some sort of spring arrangement. Whatever it is, I can say with 100% certainty that you'll need a screwdriver to undo that trim (and quite possibly a No.6 hex if it's a VW)
    Indeed my car is a LHD version of the pic.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how to get the trim off.... so I may take it to a garage to get it fixed.... anyone know a rough idea of what I should expect to be charged?

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luke
    Indeed my car is a LHD version of the pic.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how to get the trim off.... so I may take it to a garage to get it fixed.... anyone know a rough idea of what I should expect to be charged?
    It would be a complete shot in the dark for anyone here to give you even a rough estimate for the repair. What country/area are you in? What is the exact problem? What is the cost of the part, once it's been determined what the problem is? Do you really need to replace a part, or can what you have be fixed? Are you going to a VW dealership or a private garage/bodyshop?

Where I live, just to pull my car through the bay doors of a dealership is probably going to cost at least $100 - although Rosenthal Jaguar offers discounted KY Jelly to repeat customers. I would go to a reputable garage or bodyshop, let them look at it and give you an estimate.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know this thread was from ages ago, but I got to the bottom of it.

Essentally, I had an after-market electric window kit, that is no longer available. It does not have the stops that are required.

The after-market kit / manual window regulator has different mountings to the officla electric window regulator, so I couldn't fit one of those.

The solution was to build a "stopper" and attach it to the after-market window electric window regulator. I accomplished this. However even with the help of my mate, who is a VW mechanic, it was a total and utter pain! Lots and lots of fiddling!

Cheers, :-)