Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Braitore - FOTA wants KERS ban

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74793

Doesn't sound like an 'arse' to me.

(Apologies to Flavio for the spelling!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure what Flavio's point is here. Anyone with reasonably long memories will remember some teams running with semi-automatic gearboxes, some not. Some teams had active suspension, some didn't. Some teams ran turbos, some didn't.

Isn't that what F1 is all about? Teams getting a technological edge as well as an edge due to the clown sitting at the steering wheel? If everyone should have roughly the same car then perhaps he should run a GP2 or IRL team.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74793

Doesn't sound like an 'arse' to me.
    On this occasion Briatore is spot on IMHO. He's right that "We understood immediately that KERS was a money-sucking genius and the FIA should have taken note of that...Having failed to do that has forced on us expenses that are crazy as much as useless".

Unfortunately, on the insistence of the FIA, $m's has now been spent developing KERS by a majority of teams and so FOTA's attempts to see it gone next year is likely to be an uphill battle.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmcm
    Isn't that what F1 is all about? Teams getting a technological edge as well as an edge due to the clown sitting at the steering wheel? If everyone should have roughly the same car then perhaps he should run a GP2 or IRL team.
    The thing with KERS is if everyone has it then we're back to square one, having spent $m's. It's not as if teams can develop the technology so that their version gives their car more power for longer than anyone else.

It's only making a difference now because some have it and some don't.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    The thing with KERS is if everyone has it then we're back to square one, having spent $m's. It's not as if teams can develop the technology so that their version gives their car more power for longer than anyone else.

It's only making a difference now because some have it and some don't.
    You can use that argument for ground effect, active suspension, diffusers, turbo engines, mass dampers, McLaren's 3rd pedal system, 4-wheel steering, any part of car research and development. All the bits and bobs I've listed are only an advantage if someone has it and everyone else doesn't (or someone's system is better than everyone else's). That's F1. For a given set of rules there is an optimal design for the car, and it's up to the teams to work out what that is.

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    the problem with KERS is that it is, literally, 'horses for courses'.

It works well on one track, and is a total dog on others. Playing 'pick and choose' with this system during a season can become very costly, and in a time where cost-cutting may result in both new teams entering next season and being saddled with a 'budget-buster' of an add-on, this makes no sense.

I said that KERS was nothing but a fop to the 'Greenies', a means of making F1 look eco-friendly. It's what happens when an orgainzation spends too much time playing to the gallery instead of concentrating on the fundimentals.

'Stopped clock' theory, sure, but Flav's right on this one.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I just say they should have a push to pass button. for 6 seconds or whatever they get a horsepower boost. they get to use this 10 times during a race, maximum one time in a lap, and can only use it twice during qualifying. (unlimited for practice)

sounds simular to kers, and its a bit like what they have in FP Audi, but its just more logical and ofcourse weight issues etc should be less of a problem
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just ban this whole mess altogether. Briatore is right (wow, felt a little queasy).

Too reminiscent of A1GP! F1: no gimmicks, just racing.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I disagree with Flavio here. I like the fact that all of the cars are different.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    dump the kers right along with auto gearboxes. Then dump Mosely
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"