Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Red Bull fury over anthem mix-up

http://austriantimes.at/index.php?id=12706

Bungling Formula One bosses were in the pits after playing "God Save The Queen" to celebrate Red Bull's Grand Prix win in Shanghai last Sunday.

Dietrich Mateschitz, boss of Austrian company Red Bull, was reportedly furious when race organisers failed to play his own homeland's anthem after the team’s double victory by German talent Sebastian Vettel and Australian veteran Mark Webber.

Instead, they blasted out the Commonwealth realm’s anthem to honour the team's win after a mix-up over who actually owns the team.

Tycoon Mateschitz owns the company that produces the globally-successful energy drink and runs the team under Austrian racing licences. The F1 team is based in Milton Keynes near London, and its boss is Brit Christian Horner.

Apart from the firm’s engagement in the Formula One circus, Red Bull sponsors several other motor-sport teams as well as football clubs Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull New York. But hundreds of individual athletes, mainly from the winter-, fun- and extreme-sports sectors, are financially backed by the company as well.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I believe when Allen Jones won a GP once, they could not figure out what anthem to play, so they played "Happy Birthday". But I am surprised that the Chinese didn't play Waltzing Matilda which is a Karaoke favorite in China.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    It did strike me as odd but silly me I assumed the FIA knew what they were doing.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't know if my memory serves me correctly but I remember that once after Mika Häkkinen had won a race there wasn't finnish anthem available so they played estonian's (I have no idea why they had that one though). It's basically the same melody but there is a small difference. Perhaps someone can tell if I dremt the whole thing or did it happen.
    Rallyvideos from Finland since 2004
    http://www.youtube.com/nwih

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think nearly all the boys at RBR are British so I'm sure they didn't mind the mix-up. Of course, the Austrian anthem should be played after all the other Red Bull wins this year.

BTW Valve, when Allen Jones won races, God Save the Queen was still Australia's national anthem, right? I know the current one was selected in a referendum, altough I have no idea why you guys didn't chose Waltzing Matilda.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Krogshöj
    BTW Valve, when Allen Jones won races, God Save the Queen was still Australia's national anthem, right? I know the current one was selected in a referendum, altough I have no idea why you guys didn't chose Waltzing Matilda.
    I believe that many might say that "Waltzing Matilda" is more of a 'pub' song rather than a national anthem, and that many aussies cringe when others ask why they don't play that.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Nuvolari's greatest victory would come at the Nurburgring in 1935. Unable to find a drive with the emerging German teams Nuvolari rejoined Ferrari. He was 43. His Alfa was outdated and up against nine of the best racing cars of the era: Mercedes and Auto Unions.
    Delayed by a pit stop, Nuvolari charged back in one of the greatest feats in the history of motor racing. He caught and passed the opposition until only the Manfred Von Brauchitsch was ahead. So hard was he driving that the German wore his tyres through and Nuvolari passed him to win. So confident were the Germans of victory that they did not have a recording of the Italian national anthem. Legend has it that Nuvolari did... just in case.
    http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00365.html
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Their's a chance they are still registered with the FIA as a British team since their Jaguar days. Bennetton were a british team, based in Britian but they were later registered as an Italian team.

I remember a report of some obscure World Cup Qualifier football match where both teams stood for what they both believed was the oppositions national anthem....

....which turned out to be the musical score to a toothpaste advert being played on the tannoy.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Does this mean that by being on the podium and due to the wrong song being played, that they have brought the sport into disrepute and both drivers will be disqualified?
    or because Webber is Australian, that only Vettel will be "yanked" (pun intended)

As to waltzing, while the words of the Star Spangled Banner are different, the music is also set to an old Brit drinking song
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: