Toseland/Edwards problems.

I can't say I'm a fan of James Toseland but the photo on Crash.net of him laying on the ground and his bike in bits after a big crash at testing in Jerez was a sad sight to see. It was his second big crash this year. I can't imagine that the so called "feud" between him and Edwards is contributing to his crashes as has been suggested but I'm wondering why team management is letting it go on even the point of Edwards having a wall put up in the garage. Going into the start of a new season with that stuff going on is not good - time for them both to get over it. I'm still of a mind that Toseland will head back to WSBK eventually.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think the wall is a good idea, now the team and riders can get on with the racing without worrying about what's happening at the other side of the garage.

Edwards seems to be using his feud with Toseland as motivation and may actually do him good

As for Toseland, he is in trouble right now and the more he tries to get out, the deeper he sinks, just as if he was in quicksand. He felt that what was holding him back was poor communication so he changed his crew chief, that didnt help much and he had average/poor times in testing, he tried to push a bit more and he had his first big crash, that was a blow to his confidence, he came back at Jerez and as he was getting some of his confidence back he had another big crash. I think he needs to put the pre-season behind him, go to Qatar with a clean head and start from there
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's a fair assessment Chris, I'd like to see Edwards be a bit more manly about the whole thing and a bit less petulant, as I quite like him and this disappoints me. But Toseland should indeed refocus and get back to the basics of getting himself and his bike up to speed. Even if it takes all season, so long as he's achieving consistent laptimes by the end of the year he will have grown as a racer and be ready for a stronger 2010.

Having said that he may well surprise us sooner rather than later? If there's one thing that's definite in MotoGP it's that pre-season form is rarely translated into how things actually turn out (Stoner may be an exception).
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Not a Toseland fan, don't know why, I just can't seem to warm to him as a rider and as a personality. I am much more on Aussie Col's side in this little feud. I do think though, that Edwards needs to win a few and retire gracefully.

The season he won the SBK title from Bayliss was to my mind some of the greatest racing seen in any championship ('02?), and I would like to remember him for this, not for getting all out of joint because some try-hard stole his crew chief.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Colin Edwards has always spoke his mind without reservation. It's one of the reasons I like him. When Toseland requested his crew cheif and the team allowed it, I fully expected him to speak loud and boldly about it. It's Colin Edwards for cripes sake! Afterall, from his point of view it must have felt like a mugging.

(FYI, Herve Poncheral has asked Colin to stop discussing the situation with the media. I agree--we're all getting tired of it even though, initally, his anger was warranted).

Whatever the motivations we're, Toseland getting his wishes for Colin's crew chief and Edwards endless barking--and getting a wall erected--they've both put themselves in a situation where they'll look stupid if they don't get results.

Just 2 cents.

As for the crashing... It's unfortunate Toseland has had some serious crashes and hope he recovers completely.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it brings the sport down.
    It just reminds me of series like the F1 and how many of the drivers come across as arrogant and "too good". You don't associate the bikes with the same sort of attitude and with the feud, it's just what it does remind me of, but that's just me :P I read something the other day on Toseland saying he's fed up of it all and he would like to try and attempt to patch things up and end the rift with Edwards. I reckon it'll all die down when the season kicks off, they have better things to be thinking of and putting their energy into.