Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota....

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Toyota....

......for the titles?

Brawn and Williams are independent and as such will probably struggle to match the development pace of the big boys. So when Ferrari et all bolt on their fandango diffusers at some point in the european season you'd expect to see those independents slip into the pack.

But Toyota already have the head start on the swish aero and as they showed last year they can certainly maintain the development race all season, does this make them title winners in waiting??
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd say it's easier to make a decision on that when we see what the "big teams" turn up to Spain with. If McLaren, Ferrari, especially BMW can stick on a super-diffuser and grab half a second, like they're suggesting (I'm sceptical) then no, it'll be a struggle.

Alternatively, if due to the testing ban the other teams can't catch up fast enough, I certainly don't see any reason they can't be at the sharp end come the end of the year. Title winners? I still think Ferrari or BMW will beat them to it..

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I was talking Toyota up already throughout winter testing, shame rarely anyone believed me. Since 2007 Toyota has been making constant progress, they have finally found the right approach and have been making right decisions to really become a serious F1 team. The modest but adamant Japanese team is there to make a breakthrough despite everyone's disbelief. I love nothing more than when firm prejucides get proven wrong - this is how life on this planet keeps improving, when new opportunites are discovered. Rarely anyone believed that Toyota with its own 'way' can ever succeed in Formula One. They are there to believe in themselves and prove others wrong!

I don't know about 2009 titles, but so far, so good. 11 points in the bag plus decent grid positions for Malaysian GP.

As for diffusers, I think their effect is overrated. Of course it's hard to know for sure (as long as we haven't seen any other teams turning up with it), but BGP001 and TF109 are fundamentally good cars. Kubica and Räikkönen (from highly rated BMW and Ferrari teams) lost by more than 0,5 secs in Q2 to Button and Trulli. Wasn't there some suggestions like the DDD may give up to half a second per lap? Without that advantage JB and JT would still have been on the front row!

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I was talking Toyota up already throughout winter testing, shame rarely anyone believed me. Since 2007 Toyota has been making constant progress, they have finally found the right approach and have been making right decisions to really become a serious F1 team. The modest but adamant Japanese team is there to make a breakthrough despite everyone's disbelief. I love nothing more than when firm prejucides get proven wrong - this is how life on this planet keeps improving, when new opportunites are discovered. Rarely anyone believed that Toyota with its own 'way' can ever succeed in Formula One. They are there to believe in themselves and prove others wrong!

I don't know about 2009 titles, but so far, so good. 11 points in the bag plus decent grid positions for Malaysian GP.

As for diffusers, I think their effect is overrated. Of course it's hard to know for sure (as long as we haven't seen any other teams turning up with it), but BGP001 and TF109 are fundamentally good cars. Kubica and Räikkönen (from highly rated BMW and Ferrari teams) lost by more than 0,5 secs in Q2 to Button and Trulli. Wasn't there some suggestions like the DDD may give up to half a second per lap? Without that advantage JB and JT would still have been on the front row!

Live it up , Jens . You deserve it , for being such a die hard , loyal fan .

You took the lumps , now drink the champagne !

It was your boy Jarno that knew the rules , and got that trophy .
    Not just that , but from pit lane no less .

They've got a great car , and it's nice to see , finally .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

I was one of the people who didn't believe in Toyota and I admit I was wrong and you were right . However, I don't think they are going to be in the title hunt, their driver line-up just isn't strong enough.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    I was one of the people who didn't believe in Toyota and I admit I was wrong and you were right . However, I don't think they are going to be in the title hunt, their driver line-up just isn't strong enough.
    Toyota drivers are another ones, who need to prove their critics wrong. : I for one don't think that Toyota's line-up is any inferior than for example Brawn's, but many seems confident that Button and maybe Barrichello are major title threats this year. Why not Jarno and Timo in that case?

To be more precise, I don't think Toyota's line-up is far from being one of the best line-ups in F1. If you find that statement unreasonable, I might expand it.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Ask me after Trulli wins tomorrow.....unless he gets dq for lapping Lewis
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In answer to the question, it's very possible. They have a solid, fresh, but not raw star in the hard charging Timo Glock, and the experienced, cool headed, qualifying artist Jarno Trulli - I think they have a serious chance.

There's always been a part of me that has wanted Toyota to do well, and now I think they've found the right balance with the car and the drivers which suits them.

If you remember, Jarno qualified I think on the front row in Malaysia 2005, and finished second, so he can definitely win today.

Will he? I doubt it though. Button is very quick and heavier than the chasing pack, and even though I think Jarno will push him hard, you can never count out Rosberg, Webber, and definitely Barrichello if he gets a good start.

If it rains I think Toyota will struggle, going on history, but you never know they may have fixed their usually troublesome car in the rain.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    Ask me after Trulli wins tomorrow.....unless he gets dq for lapping Lewis
    Talk to me after Rubens passes him on the last corner of the last lap for a podium.
    Remember you heard it here :
    May the forza be with you

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    Talk to me after Rubens passes him on the last corner of the last lap for a podium.
    Remember you heard it here :
    Harsh