Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "AFTER a long battle of rule interpretation, the FIA is to homologate the Toyota Auris Super 2000 car just in time for Repco Rally Australia, two years after the model was first used in Australia and South Africa in national level competition.

Two of the cars have been entered for Rally Australia, to be driven by Neal Bates and Stewart Reid.

The difficulties arose because FIA rules say that only one Super 2000 design based on the same basic model can be internationally approved. In the case of the Auris, the designs of competition versions rallied in South Africa and Australia are slightly different and the FIA sought ways to enable both designs to be acceptable.

The June World Motor Sport Council meeting gave approval for cars produced in different locations to be jointly considered for homologation reasons. The final solution was that the South African car will be given international approval, the Australia car given permission only to compete in Asia Pacific regions.

Toyota South Africa’s Senior Motor Sport Manager William Haddad said "in reality it has all been a technicality, the difference between the Super 2000 cars was always slight and some recent changes in design to the rear suspensions have made these even fewer".

Neal Bates, who has been responsible for developing these cars in Australia, said "I just won’t believe it’s finally happening until we start Rally Oz! The uncertainty has been a nightmare for us".

It remains to be seen what will be the official name of this car, whether it is to be internationally know as Auris or Corolla!

The original model Corolla Super 2000 only appeared once on a World Championship event, the 2006 Wales Rally GB, in the hands of Alister McRae."

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    i wanted to make sure of my facts, but the above confirms the South African Auris having been homologated a while ago...

Interesting that a "dual" homologation will be given...

Toyota Auris won round 6 of the SA national championships this last weekend, in the hands of Johnny Gemmel and Peter Marsh..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The SA Auris homologation inspection was two weeks ago....

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Once again i learn something new :-)