Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    I think this year or 2008 will be his final year. If Loeb clinches this years title with 2-4 rounds to go then I think Grönholm will give up and end his career after this season.

But if he's not in WRC, then nobody is even close to Loeb. It will be like watching Rossi in MotoGP.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    But if he's not in WRC, then nobody is even close to Loeb. It will be like watching Rossi in MotoGP.
    So that'll mean Loeb will lose his title:P?
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    If he can't win a title, I certaintly don't see him driving 3 or 4 more years. I expect him to be out after the 2008 season.

Unlikely or not, Gardemeister would be an excellent replacement.
    Agreed. And I'd like to see Toni back in Ford, I still don't understand, why he was left out after 2005.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Agreed. And I'd like to see Toni back in Ford, I still don't understand, why he was left out after 2005.
    It's just the impression that he gave during that season, IMO.

He still placed VERY well up the final standings in 2005, but there was no wins and no really strong chance of a win. It could be argued that he didn't LOOK like he was going fast, despite being #1 in the team. Methinks that that was a result of consistency, but I think the overall sense that I got is that he doesn't seem like the best #1 driver for a top team because of his lack of spectacular driving, and he doesn't really seem like the guy who would be the most suitable #2 driver either.

Having said that, he is one of the best guys out there, and considering the contracts of most of the current works guys still go past 2008, theoretically he should be a candidate for that seat.

Not sure Mr Wilson and Ford will see it the same way though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Believing in what he said before the start of the season 2006, this year should be his final year in rally.

2 -3 more years, I don't see him still competing in top 3 as Mikko, Chris, Sordo and other young drivers will be in their best form to fight for the championship.

Like Schumacher in F1, at the end of this season he will be asked to decide on his future if he wants to continue or not. I know Wilson would wish to see him again.

Who is in good position to replace him in Ford? Shame to Petter for signing 3 years to Subaru. I think Mikko would be promoted to 1st driver as we can see it today, apart Marcus Mikko and Sordo are the Guys who can put some pressure on Loeb.

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC2006
    Shame to Petter for signing 3 years to Subaru.
    If you read the interview with Petter in the current issue of RallyWorld, (about his troubled year in 2006) he (Petter) said that he had lots of discussions with Ford and Citroen about joining them, problem with Ford was that he would have to wait one year to 2008 for the vacancy. Petter did not expand too much on the Citroen option. He did say that he felt Subaru would turn around and that the 2008 Subaru would be "something special" -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes I have read this interview.

But what happened is that Ford was ready to offer him a seat but a second seat not the first seat. Petter refused this as Marcus had already signed with Ford. And Wilson couldn't sign Petter instead of Marcus as Boss was free and not so expensive like Hollywood.

Remember also what was the tentions and relationship between Wilson (Ford) and Petter when he was moving to Subaru from Ford. Do you think it is finished now? Don't think so.

With Citroen it was the same case. Loeb was the 1st driver then Petter would be the second driver before they choose to sign Sordo. Petter again would feel underestimated being second driver as the full attention in Citroen is for Loeb.

As it was no more better seat left so the final best solution was to re-sign with Subaru and Cash in millions of $$$$$ and the shut up his mouth about the crap car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In a newspaper last weekend at the Uddeholm rally, everyone could read that Grönholm has said. Title or no title this year, I´l stop after this year!
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

MJW
    Yes somehow I get the impression this will be Marcus' last season. I wish him well & despite being a Petter supporter it would be good if Bosse had another championship.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    If you read the interview with Petter in the current issue of RallyWorld, (about his troubled year in 2006) he (Petter) said that he had lots of discussions with Ford and Citroen about joining them, problem with Ford was that he would have to wait one year to 2008 for the vacancy. Petter did not expand too much on the Citroen option. He did say that he felt Subaru would turn around and that the 2008 Subaru would be "something special" -
    Hummm.... interesting.... But Citroen won't build team around Petter, and Ford is only committed til 2008 for now as it was announced it's 4 year commitment after 2004. So Subaru may be the best available, and there is nothing to prevent them from turning around things to get back to where they were before. Another option would be Suzuki, but nobody knows how close they are to the championship, and Petter may not be young enough....
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion: