Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Gronholm - How many years?

At the moment, Marcus Gronholm looks like going to his 26th WRC victory if things stay as is. With form like this, it must be said that he is probably the most competitive post-35 year old in motorsport today.

But how many years of competitive driving are left?

He said at the start of 2006 that if he wins the title, he will retire. If not, he will try again this year.

If I am right, then 2007 is the last year on his Ford contract. But it's hard to imagine that he will retire at the end of this year, considering he still wants to win in this sport.

Based on the 2006 comments, I'll assume that if he wins the WRC title this year, he will retire. If he does retire at the end of this year, then another question has to be asked -

Who will replace him at Ford?

Obviously it has to be someone good, which would rule out Wilson jr. (hopefully). Latvala?

Discuss.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would say that he would keep going until the enjoyment goes. Remember, at the beginning of '06 he had just come out of a very frustrating time with the 307.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    I think that it'll be close this year with the points and wins. A good battle with Loeb and Gronholm.

Crap I forgot what I was going to write. I did already but pressed the back button and it disappeared! arrg

Anyways. Replacing Gronholm @ Ford? Moving up all the drivers one position if he retires but think he might fight till the end for the Championship Crown and Mikko would be driver #1.

Solberg and Atkinson stay at Subaru if Atko still has a contract?! Loeb and Sordo stay @ Citroen and Team Mitsubishi - Galli and Gardemeister/Henning Solberg.

Or perhaps Galli to Kronos Citroen

Back to Marcus: He'll fight this year with out giving up against Loeb/Solberg and who ever is up in the leader board but I want to see Loeb retire hehe in one round. But then again he could do what he did last year is not compete in 4 rounds and still win the Championship.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1-2 years is my guess, or if the win does come by driving sooner.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    With form like this, it must be said that he is probably the most competitive post-35 year old in motorsport today.
    I strongly dislike it if NASCAR isn't classified as motorsport.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    I strongly dislike it if NASCAR isn't classified as motorsport.
    Oh I know. :

But you see, that's an exception. Due to the nature of NASCAR, the tracks, the cars and everything, it is possible for drivers to keep competing at a high level into their late 40s and early 50s. The same happens with V8 Supercars, and I'm sure its the same with other touring car championships.

As far as other top-tier motorsport is concerned in the present day, there is only a handful of people who remain in the top 10 in their sport when they are nearing or past the age of 40. There are even fewer who still win events and compete for titles at that age, and Marcus Gronholm is one of those people.

Back to the question(s) of the thread...

No one has presented a possible replacement choice for Gronholm. Of course we can fairly safely assume that Mikko Hirvonen will take the #1 spot at Ford. But who will be the other Ford driver post-Gronholm?

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Marcus still loves driving but like many other "elder" drivers, is tired of travelling and other stuff.

My guess is the same as Tomi's. Two years tops but most likely he'll retire sooner.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2008 will be his last year, if he doesn't win the title
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Agree with AFF, it's not the rallying he'll be giving up but the travelling, away from family, PR days, testing etc etc..

I hope he wins it this year and goes out on a high. Maybe Petter will regret signing a 3 year deal with Subaru??
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

2007 Overall Pickems Champion
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What are you talking about? Gronholm will race forever!
    "Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus"
    http://rallyeracing.wordpress.com/