Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135
Results 1,341 to 1,346 of 1346

Thread: BBC Coverage

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Re: BBC Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I know, but although I don't watch much BBC stuff. I would still rather a knowledgeable GA than a trendy whoever that knows little about F1.

I listen on Radio to Fridays quite often and I enjoy his work.
    Hear Hear, as Murray would say.

I'm a Radio 5 listener, Well that's a shame if the BBC really want to go in the Natalie Pinkham direction.

They seem too focused on what Sky are doing, like ripping off Sky's admittedly very good opening credits when their own were just fine, and distinguished them.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    They seem too focused on what Sky are doing, like ripping off Sky's admittedly very good opening credits when their own were just fine, and distinguished them.
    I didn't get the impression they had ripped off Sky's opening credits. The historical animations mixed with historical clips are hardly a product owned by either channel. Unless it was another aspect I am not aware of.

I wonder if Sky will get rid of that awful theme tune this year? I used to like ITV's use of 'Lift me up' by Moby, however the Chain takes some beating as it is something a lot of fans associate with F1. I like a tune that puts you in the mood for racing and Sky fall short on that choice. Its a minor detail, but Sky seem to pride themselves on minor details and charging the earth.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If its true they are letting GA go, that is crazy.

He is so knowledgeable. It makes you wonder who they are going to be getting in. Someone equally knowledgeable or someone attractive/entertaining
    If they are letting him go because of cost cutting, two things:
    1) They won't replace him
    2) This may be the start of the end for BBC F1 (early)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2k8
    If its true they are letting GA go, that is crazy.

He is so knowledgeable. It makes you wonder who they are going to be getting in. Someone equally knowledgeable or someone attractive/entertaining
    If they are letting him go because of cost cutting, two things:
    1) They won't replace him
    2) This may be the start of the end for BBC F1 (early)
    I very much doubt the BBC will drop the coverage before the end of their contract. Its still one of their highest attracting sports, although they have very little left. If the BBC decide not to continue showing F1 post 2018, then lets hope another FTA channel picks up their half of the contract. If they don't, then F1 is officially dead in the UK as Sky F1 are struggling massively to attract viewers. Its all good having a fancy dedicated channel packed with features and air time, but if its priced beyond most fans reach, its as good as useless for the future. Sky will end up doing to F1 what they have done to cricket if we are not careful.

The BBC are propping up F1 appeal at the moment and are providing the primary F1 coverage in the UK. It all depends how important the British market is to the sport and its sponsors. Its probably not so important these days, however that is not so great for the dedicated fans amongst us.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As much as I'd love F1 to stay on the BBC (no ads), I would much rather see the entire season on another FTA channel than under half of it!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2k8
    As much as I'd love F1 to stay on the BBC (no ads), I would much rather see the entire season on another FTA channel than under half of it!
    The problem with that would be they would have to put ads during the race as no other FTA channel relies on license funding like the BBC. I'd much rather the current deal continue as we get half the season in full and the other half as highlights, but lets face it, the racing has been so boring of late some of the highlights have felt like they've gone on too long lol!

When we look at the time F1 was on ITV, it was effectively like the BBC highlights now. I say this because there were at least 5 ad breaks per race and a good percentage was missed. When it went back on the Beeb we suddenly realised what it was like to watch a race in full again.

If the BBC decided not to continue though, it would be much better all round if a FTA channel picked it up with ads than have Sky have full exclusive rights. Having ads is better than not having F1 at all!