Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Le Mans 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that first safety car changed everything and ruined the race, it put the overall leader in such a big lead because somehow the of the front runners got caught behind the 2nd SC, along as it split the vettes apart.

I must say also a well done to the Kolles #14 team to do the race with only 2 drivers
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations for the lions. They deserved this win, after all the failures in previous years. Kudos for them.
    Formula 1

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    This yea's race, but for the accidents (that I do not consider entertaining at all) turned out a bit boring, especially in the LMP classes.
    It was decent, average race, no different to what I remember from the 90s.

It does becomes an anti-climax in terms of action on Sunday morning when the sun comes out and track temperature hits the mid-late 20s (centigrade) and people start thinking of the finish.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well done, Peugeot! I toast your victory with a bottle of Kronenbourg Seize Cent Soixante Quatre.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclark
    'Don't know the rules regarding that but even if allowed, how would it be faster? (The time taken to wheel it in and then back out would surely negate any advantage gained inside the garage.)
    This year the pit crew could only change one tire at a time with two people. If they take it into the garage they could have three members on each tire and replace the whole set in about 4 seconds.

And instead of wheeling it into the garage, the driver could just turn in head first.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    And instead of wheeling it into the garage, the driver could just turn in head first.
    theyre not allowed too, crew has to put it on jacks
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    First time that Audi hasnt won for 10 years, so at least thats something to be chearful about.

Lola-Aston 4th, great job from Prodrive its just ashame that the rules give so much of an advantage to the diesels.
    Okay here goes -

Aston Martin-Lola was going about 205mph on the run down to Indy

The 908 was clocked at 211 during qualifying

6 mph is quite a bit to make up, HOWEVER.

Looking at the SEAT Leon TDi's in the WTCC, they reach max velocity sooner than the Cruze or the 320i's and its more than likely not because they make more Horsepower, but WAY more torque.

I think this is the case with most of the faster N/A cars vs both Diesel cars, they take longer to reach top speed.

Combine that with R8>R10>R15 and 908 with 3 years of development and you see the lap time isn't so much in top speed, its how both cars can attack the Porsche Curves. McNish made his flying lap for Pole in the first qualifying session and was balked around the track, but had a clean run from Arnage to start/finish and made all his time up on that section of track. Sarrazin made up his lap for pole in the same area.

Its safe to say that 908 is FASTER than anything there in a straight line, clearly, they are also one of the fastest cars through one of the trickiest section of track as well.

Its a combined effort...

One more year of development on the GDI Aston Martin V12, more CFD/Wind Tunnel time on the AMR bodywork, maybe adding a Hybrid system or allowing larger engines in the rules might help them. But to be honest, they are RIGHT there for a brand new effort and only need to find a bit more speed, not all of it in the ACO rulebook.
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    that first safety car changed everything and ruined the race, it put the overall leader in such a big lead because somehow the of the front runners got caught behind the 2nd SC, along as it split the vettes apart.

I must say also a well done to the Kolles #14 team to do the race with only 2 drivers
    Which safety car are you talking about?

The #8 had a HUGE lead cut down by transmission/suspension issues, lost 9 mins and that is basically the difference. If it was an Audi in the lead, they wouldn't have called off the dogs, trust me. Franck was cutting :24's and :25's in the early daylight, some 2-3 seconds a lap faster than Brabs in the #9. They were on pace to catch them with about an hour or two to go.

However I agree, the ACO does really need to look at how they use the pace/safety cars and the track being 8 miles long has really very little to do with it basically.

The 2nd pace car should release his cars to join the tail end of the lead pack before returning to green.
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Okay here goes -

Aston Martin-Lola was going about 205mph on the run down to Indy

The 908 was clocked at 211 during qualifying

6 mph is quite a bit to make up, HOWEVER.

Looking at the SEAT Leon TDi's in the WTCC, they reach max velocity sooner than the Cruze or the 320i's and its more than likely not because they make more Horsepower, but WAY more torque.

I think this is the case with most of the faster N/A cars vs both Diesel cars, they take longer to reach top speed.

Combine that with R8>R10>R15 and 908 with 3 years of development and you see the lap time isn't so much in top speed, its how both cars can attack the Porsche Curves. McNish made his flying lap for Pole in the first qualifying session and was balked around the track, but had a clean run from Arnage to start/finish and made all his time up on that section of track. Sarrazin made up his lap for pole in the same area.

Its safe to say that 908 is FASTER than anything there in a straight line, clearly, they are also one of the fastest cars through one of the trickiest section of track as well.

Its a combined effort...

One more year of development on the GDI Aston Martin V12, more CFD/Wind Tunnel time on the AMR bodywork, maybe adding a Hybrid system or allowing larger engines in the rules might help them. But to be honest, they are RIGHT there for a brand new effort and only need to find a bit more speed, not all of it in the ACO rulebook.
    Did you steal that from Marshall Pruett?

Interesting observations nonetheless.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Which safety car are you talking about?
    when #7 and #17 hit in the pits and and #7 blew the tire on the track.

the lead LMP1 and GT1 categories both got split by the safety cars