Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Recommended Motorsport books

I'm looking to buy some motorsport books. I'm interested particularly in world and national rallying, Formula 1 and international single seaters, sports cars and touring cars. But not limited to anything. A good book is a good book. Something thats not difficult to read (as per language used) but which also goes in depth (whether it deal with races, personalities or cars.) Encyclopedic type books I find particularly interesting as you can gain a broad range of knowledge about a sport or era, as opposed to one man's journey through the ranks (e.g. as in a biography, which are good reads in a different light.)

So what motorsport books have you read and found particularly enjoyable and feel worthy of recommendation?
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Cummins
    I'm looking to buy some motorsport books. I'm interested particularly in world and national rallying, Formula 1 and international single seaters, sports cars and touring cars. But not limited to anything. A good book is a good book. Something thats not difficult to read (as per language used) but which also goes in depth (whether it deal with races, personalities or cars.) Encyclopedic type books I find particularly interesting as you can gain a broad range of knowledge about a sport or era, as opposed to one man's journey through the ranks (e.g. as in a biography, which are good reads in a different light.)

So what motorsport books have you read and found particularly enjoyable and feel worthy of recommendation?
    http://www.bullpublishing.com/shop/c...y.asp?catid=12

http://uk.autocourse.com/
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Fast Response. Dr. Steve Olvey. American USAC/CART/Indy focusing on the development of safety but a lot of behind the scenes history and some pretty funny stories.
    Any of Steve Matchett's books on the life of an F1 mechanic. I am biased as I was a race mechanic for over 20 years.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    EPYNT Got some typos and the odd weird bit of grammar but I am yet to see such a detailed, well photographed and well put together book (and all about one venue )

http://www.griffinrally.com/epynt.html Worth it for the photographs alone.

*Stands back and waits for Paddy to say that he already has it*
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    The Slide Show books by McKlein over the past few years have been particularly brilliant, but I don't like to read, just look at the pretty photos :
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Schu...1892117&sr=8-2

Analysis was absolutely spot on IMHO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Zanardi...1892186&sr=8-1

Still have yet to get my hands on it and read it even if its been countlessly recommended over the years

And probably the most raved booked over the last six months: Tommy Bryne - possibly the most naturally gifted driver in F1 never to have fully competed in F1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crashed-Byrn...1892450&sr=8-1

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    For something a little different

Since you fans in Europe don't always understand American racing...read "Driving with the Devil" by Neal Thompson. It tells the story of stock racing in its embroynic days from the moonshine runners in the Applachian mountains. Why it is I think VERY readable is you get a feel for how the racing evolved and how racing was always a business as well as a passion to most of the participants. It wasn't a rich man's sport in America and THAT is a racing culture that is unlike a lot of the gentlemen racers you saw in f1 in the early years.

Another good read along this vein is an old copy of "You can call me Mr. 500" by Andy Granatelli. A little bit of a blowhard but you learn how the American dream took hold in this showman from Chicago. The story of how he grew with the Brickyard and how his hard work made him a millionaire is a nice story of guts and courage. He wasn't afraid to fail or work to get where he wanted.

My third is Gerald Donaldson's biography of the Late and always great Gilles Villeneuve. I still tear up reading the chapter of his passing...and THAT is the mark of a great writer.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I forgot about Donaldsons' book. I concur. Even he doesn't tell how close Gilles was to having to give it up for lack of money. If he hadn't won at Gimli that probably would have been it. There wasn't enough money left to get him to Mosport, although there was a collection going to be made among the teams to help.
    Another good book about NASCAR is Cale Yarboroughs's 'autobiograpy'.
    The good ole boys really were.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Since you fans in Europe don't always understand American racing...read "Driving with the Devil" by Neal Thompson. It tells the story of stock racing in its embroynic days from the moonshine runners in the Applachian mountains. Why it is I think VERY readable is you get a feel for how the racing evolved and how racing was always a business as well as a passion to most of the participants. It wasn't a rich man's sport in America and THAT is a racing culture that is unlike a lot of the gentlemen racers you saw in f1 in the early years.
    Being "readable" does not necessarily make it accurate. Thompson's love of a good story and moonshine itself meant that he did not allow facts to get in his way when writing the book.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood